Help Algebra 2/Trigonometry Problem

• Thread starter daodude1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the equation x=-b\2a is used to find the x-coordinate of the vertex in a quadratic equation, represented as f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k. The values h and k can be found using the equation h = -b/2a and k = c - ah^2. This method can be used to prove why and how this equation works in finding the x-coordinate.
daodude1987
I'm having trouble with proving this equation: x=-b\2a
I am not really familiar with this equation but my trigonometry teacher says it is something from Algebra 2. How can I prove why or how this equation works for finding the x-coordinate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking into account that its almost midnight, i think i can scrap together an answer.

you are talking about using a specific equation:

ax^2 + bx + c ( quadratic)

however you use this equation:

f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k (to put it into an equation that will make it easier to find the vertex of the equation)

h = -b/2a
k = c - ah^2 ( I am almost positive this is right)

the vertex will equal (h,k) so if the vertex liex on the x-axis u will have an x coordinate of the graph. hope that helps some

To prove this equation, we need to use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a. This formula is used to find the roots of a quadratic equation in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0.

Now, let's compare this formula with the given equation x = -b/2a. We can see that the only difference is the absence of the square root term in the given equation.

To understand why this equation works for finding the x-coordinate, we need to look at the discriminant (b²-4ac) in the quadratic formula. The discriminant determines the nature of the roots of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two distinct real roots, if it is zero, the equation has one real root, and if it is negative, the equation has two complex roots.

In the given equation x = -b/2a, we can see that the discriminant is not present. This means that the equation has only one real root, which is the x-coordinate. This is because the quadratic formula gives us the two possible values for x, but in this case, the ±√(b²-4ac) term becomes zero, leaving us with only one value for x, which is the x-coordinate.

To further prove this, we can substitute the value of x = -b/2a in the original quadratic equation ax² + bx + c = 0. We will get (-b/2a)(a(-b/2a)² + b(-b/2a) + c) = 0, which simplifies to (-b/2a)(b²/4a²) = 0. This gives us the same result as x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a, but in this case, the ±√(b²-4ac) term becomes zero, leaving us with only one value for x, which is the x-coordinate.

Therefore, we can conclude that the given equation x = -b/2a works for finding the x-coordinate because it is a simplified version of the quadratic formula, specifically for equations with only one real root.

1. What is the difference between algebra 2 and trigonometry?

Algebra 2 is a branch of mathematics that deals with equations and expressions, while trigonometry is the study of triangles and their relationships. Algebra 2 is necessary for solving more complex problems in trigonometry.

2. How can I solve a problem in algebra 2/trigonometry?

The first step is to understand the problem and identify what information is given and what is being asked for. Then, use the appropriate formulas and rules to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the common formulas used in algebra 2/trigonometry?

In algebra 2, common formulas include the quadratic formula, factoring rules, and exponential rules. In trigonometry, common formulas include the Pythagorean theorem, sine and cosine laws, and trigonometric identities.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve problems in algebra 2/trigonometry?

Yes, calculators can be useful for solving complex equations and trigonometric functions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculations rather than solely relying on a calculator.

5. How can I improve my understanding of algebra 2/trigonometry?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your understanding of algebra 2 and trigonometry. Working through problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and connections between different topics can help strengthen your understanding.