Heat Capacity Power Series Approximation

In summary, the conversation discussed deriving a more accurate approximation for heat capacity at high temperatures by using a power series expansion to approximate the exponential term. The final answer is C = Nk(1 - \frac{1}{12}(\frac{ε}{kT})^{2}).
Fuzzletop

Homework Statement

"Derive a more accurate approximation for the heat capacity at high temperatures, by keeping terms through [itex]x^{3}[/itex] in the expansions of the exponentials and then carefully expanding the denominator and multiplying everything out. Throw away terms that will be smaller than [itex](\frac{ε}{kT})^{2}[/itex] in the final answer. When the smoke clears, you should find [itex]C = Nk(1 - \frac{1}{12}(\frac{ε}{kT})^{2})[/itex]"

Homework Equations

In addition to the above:
The "exact" formula for the heat capacity was found in an earlier part to the question:
[itex]C = \frac{Nε^{2}e^{\frac{ε}{kT}}}{kT^{2}(e^{\frac{ε}{kT}} - 1)^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Power Series expansion for small x:

[itex]e^{x} ≈ 1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{3}}{6}[/itex]

where [itex]x = \frac{ε}{kT}[/itex]

I expanded all this out, factoring out [itex]x^{2}[/itex] on bottom to cancel the same on top, removed powers of x greater than 2:

[itex]C = N k \frac{x^{2}(1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{3}}{6})}{(x + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{3}}{6})^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]C = N k \frac{x^{2}(1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{3}}{6})}{x^{2} + x^{3} + \frac{7 x^{4}}{12} + \frac{x^{5}}{6} + \frac{x^{6}}{36}}[/itex]

[itex]C = Nk\frac{1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2}}{1 + x + \frac{7 x^{2}}{12}}[/itex]

I'm not sure how to take this any further. I have gotten something that almost resembles what I want:

[itex]C (1 + x + \frac{7x^{2}}{12}) = N k (1 + x +\frac{7x^{2}}{12} - \frac{x^{2}}{12})[/itex]

But clearly, I can't just divide by the part attached to C and call it a day. Any tips to help get to the target answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Fuzzletop! :smile:

You can use: [itex]{1 \over 1 - x}=1+x+x^2+x^3+...[/itex]

But before you do so, you should expand your denominator with one extra term in the first step.
And then you need to keep all powers up to power 3 (power 5 in the denominator since that reduces to power 3).

Thanks!

I did manage to get something of an answer. I did so while still ignoring the powers of 3 (I tried to use them at first, but I couldn't get it to work, so I switched back to just up to powers of 2, and I tried this below; I'm sure including the powers of 3 would work equally as well):

[itex]C = Nk\frac{(1 + x + x^{2} - \frac{5x^{2}}{12} - \frac{x^{2}}{12})}{(1 + x + x^{2} - \frac{5x^{2}}{12})}

= Nk\frac{(\frac{1}{1 - x} - \frac{5x^{2}}{12} - \frac{x^{2}}{12})}{(\frac{1}{1 - x} - \frac{5x^{2}}{12})}[/itex]

Which eventually comes very close to the goal equation, but for a term [itex]\frac{5x^{2}}{12}[/itex] which I removed as it's "smaller than [itex](\frac{ε}{kT})^{2}[/itex]" (a bit less than half), and I got the answer, [itex]C = Nk(1 - \frac{1}{12}(\frac{ε}{kT})^{2})[/itex]

Thanks a lot! I'm not usually one to think of using series expansions unless I've been told to do so explicitly, so that was a great help!

You're welcome! :smile:

Actually, I intended (but with terms up to the 3rd power):
[tex]C = Nk\frac{1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2}}{1 + x + \frac{7 x^{2}}{12}}
= Nk(1 + x + \frac{x^{2}}{2})(1 - (x + \frac{7 x^{2}}{12}) + (x + \frac{7 x^{2}}{12})^2 - ...)[/tex]

Related to Heat Capacity Power Series Approximation

What is a heat capacity power series approximation?

A heat capacity power series approximation is a mathematical technique used to approximate the variation of heat capacity with temperature. It is based on a power series expansion of the heat capacity function, where the coefficients are determined by fitting the series to experimental data.

How accurate is a heat capacity power series approximation?

The accuracy of a heat capacity power series approximation depends on the order of the series used. Generally, the higher the order of the series, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, it is important to note that the approximation may still have some level of error compared to experimental data.

What are the limitations of using a heat capacity power series approximation?

A heat capacity power series approximation is limited in its applicability to a specific temperature range. The approximation may be accurate within the range of temperatures used to fit the data, but it may not accurately predict heat capacity at temperatures outside of this range. Additionally, the approximation may not account for all factors that can affect heat capacity, such as phase transitions or chemical reactions.

How is a heat capacity power series approximation different from other methods of approximating heat capacity?

Unlike other methods of approximating heat capacity, such as polynomial fits or empirical equations, a heat capacity power series approximation is based on a specific mathematical expansion of the heat capacity function. This allows for a more systematic approach to fitting data and can provide a more accurate representation of the heat capacity curve.

Can a heat capacity power series approximation be applied to all materials?

No, a heat capacity power series approximation is typically only applicable to materials that exhibit a smooth variation of heat capacity with temperature. Materials with more complex heat capacity behavior, such as those with multiple phase transitions, may require a different approach for approximation.