How to Manually Edit Windows 98 Startup Programs?

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load
In summary, to manually edit the startup programs in Windows 98, you can try using the sysedit command, explore the options of individual programs, or use the MSCONFIG tool to disable startup programs. Additional tips and tricks for Windows 98 can be found on websites such as Baycongroup, DSLReports, and Axcel216.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How do I manually edit the programs which Windows 98 loads upon startup?

I remember doing it once, years ago, but I can't remember how I did it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't recall for certain. You might try: Run>sysedit and see what pops up. I'm digging through my favorites for a website that has lots of win98 tips and tricks. When I find it I will edit this post to provide a link.

[edit]
Here's one: http://www.baycongroup.com/win98/win9800.htm

and another; http://www.dslreports.com/faq/msoftapptips

Here's the one I was looking for; http://members.aol.com/axcel216/osr2.htm#!

Yes, what Greg said about msconfig was what I couldn't remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Right-click the item on the Taskbar (if there is one) and look for a Startup option that you can switch Off.
2. Look in the programs Options for a similar Option. You may need to look in all the options.
3. Try MSConfig (Select Start • Run. Type in MSCONFIG, and press Enter. Click on the Startup tab)

Thanks!

That fixed it.

1. What is the purpose of manually editing the Win 98 load?

The purpose of manually editing the Win 98 load is to customize and optimize the operating system for your specific needs. This can include removing unnecessary programs, changing system settings, and improving performance.

2. What tools are needed for manually editing the Win 98 load?

To manually edit the Win 98 load, you will need a text editor, such as Notepad, and basic knowledge of the Windows operating system. You may also need to have administrator privileges on your computer.

3. How do I access the Win 98 load file?

The Win 98 load file, also known as the "autoexec.bat" file, can be accessed by navigating to the "C:\WINDOWS" directory and opening the file in a text editor.

4. What are some common changes that can be made to the Win 98 load?

Some common changes that can be made to the Win 98 load include removing unnecessary startup programs, changing system settings, and configuring hardware devices. You can also add custom commands or programs to the load file.

5. Is it safe to manually edit the Win 98 load?

Yes, it is generally safe to manually edit the Win 98 load as long as you are familiar with the changes you are making and have a backup of the original file. However, it is always recommended to exercise caution when making changes to system files.