Health risks with radio transmission?

In summary, the article says that there is no difference between radio wave and visible light, and that high energy radiation, such as UV, X-rays, and so on, are dangerous to your health. Lower energy radiation, such as visible light, is not. After all, you don't worry about cancer sitting under a bank of several dozen incandescent light bulbs. The power of the antenna doesn't even matter. Increasing the power just throws more photons at you, it doesn't make them more dangerous. Unless it's really, REALLY powerful. Anything goes if you're throwing several dozen kilowatts at something.
chebyshevF
Ok I've done my research and so long as the transmitter isn't outputting at a high level of power, you'll be fine.

Why I ask is because I'm looking into getting a job with a small company, where they install network elements such as optical and radio transmissoin (and multiplexers). Now I know they wouldn't even be advertising if the job involved any health risks, but I remember reading this article a while ago and it's got me thinking: http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/ethics/vatican-radio-still-making-waves

Engineering news on Phys.org
As it says in the article, the sample is too small to really support that conclusion.

"Doing an epidemiology study in a small area, dealing with a rare disease, is a mission impossible," he says.
Straight from the article.

My heuristic is the following:

From a physical standpoint, there is no fundamental difference between radio wave and visible light; the only difference is frequency (energy).

High energy (high frequency) radiation, such as UV, X-rays, and so on, are provably dangerous to your health. Lower energy (lower frequency) radiation, such as visible light, is not. After all, you don't worry about cancer sitting under a bank of several dozen incandescent light bulbs.

Radio waves are at a far lower frequency than visible light, in the gigahertz range at the most, visible light is several hundred terahertz. By that reasoning, a radio antenna should be several thousand times safer to be exposed to than a normal light bulb.

The power of the antenna doesn't even matter. Increasing the power just throws more photons at you, it doesn't make them more dangerous. Unless it's really, REALLY powerful. Anything goes if you're throwing several dozen kilowatts at something.

Just because something is invisible does not make it magical.

Don't stick your hand in a microwave oven (2450 MHz) or stand near a high power microwave antenna. You can get cooked. There are microwave electric field meters you can use to test the electric field strength.

Many years ago (1960) I built an AM transmitter with the antenna in the attic. I could walk along the antenna with a fluorescent bulb and it would light up at nodes. I do have health problems now, but not due to RF electric fields.

Bob S

Bob S said:
Don't stick your hand in a microwave oven (2450 MHz) or stand near a high power microwave antenna. You can get cooked. There are microwave electric field meters you can use to test the electric field strength.

Many years ago (1960) I built an AM transmitter with the antenna in the attic. I could walk along the antenna with a fluorescent bulb and it would light up at nodes. I do have health problems now, but not due to RF electric fields.

Bob S
The local E field around a transmitter does not equate to the actual power radiated or even to the effective heating of a nearby body because the impedance can be very high. You don't need a lot of power ti make a fluo tube glow so you were probably not in any mortal danger.:smile:

Bob S said:

Bob S
For some perspective though, a microwave oven is usually throwing several hundred watts of concentrated power at your food. You'd need to be standing fairly close to a several kilowatt radio transmitter that was at exactly the right frequency to get the same effect.

That frequency band would not be very suitable for communications for the same reason that it is good for ovens- the fact that it is absorbed by water vapour. So you may not find many such transmitters.

The absorbance of radiation by water vapor is not strong at the frequency used by microwave ovens. This may sound counter intuitive as it is mainly the water in the food that is heated by the oven. However if this were the case most of the energy of the microwaves would be absorbed at the surface of the food and the center of the food would be left cold.

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/atm-absorption.htm

Oh yes. Another 'fact' bites the dust. It's not a resonant absoption.
But it is true to say that water absorbs so much that the heating doesn't penetrate 'wet' food by more than a couple of cms. Food with not much water in it will burn internally and, because ice doesn't absorb much either, you can see standing waves in the melted regions inside an icecream block.
My Panasonic uwave oven uses 'Chaos' which allows faster defrosting by giving random short bursts of high power rather than just using low power. The 2.54GHz gets well inside frozen food but will produce hotspots if max power is used for long. Hence 'chaos' - and it sounds so sexy too, as a selling point.

Related to Health risks with radio transmission?

What are the potential health risks associated with radio transmission?

Some studies have suggested that long-term exposure to radiofrequency (RF) radiation from devices such as cell phones, Wi-Fi routers, and radio towers may increase the risk of certain health problems, including cancer, neurological disorders, and reproductive issues. However, the evidence is inconclusive and more research is needed to fully understand the potential risks.

How does radio transmission affect the human body?

RF radiation is a type of non-ionizing radiation, meaning it does not have enough energy to cause damage to DNA directly. However, it can still cause heat to build up in the body's tissues, which may lead to cellular changes. Some studies have also suggested that RF radiation may affect the body's natural biological processes, such as sleep, hormone regulation, and immune function.

Are children more vulnerable to the health risks of radio transmission?

Children's bodies are still developing and may be more sensitive to the effects of RF radiation. Additionally, children tend to use electronic devices, such as cell phones, more frequently and for longer periods of time than adults, which may increase their exposure to RF radiation.

What are some ways to reduce exposure to radio transmission?

To reduce exposure to RF radiation, you can limit your use of electronic devices, especially cell phones, and keep them away from your body as much as possible. You can also use hands-free devices, such as headphones or speakerphone, to keep the device away from your head. Additionally, avoid placing Wi-Fi routers or other electronic devices in close proximity to where you spend a lot of time, such as your bedroom or office.

Is there a safe level of radio transmission exposure?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has set guidelines for safe exposure to RF radiation, known as specific absorption rate (SAR) limits. However, these limits are based on short-term exposure and do not take into account the potential effects of long-term exposure. It is important to continue researching the potential health risks and take precautionary measures to limit exposure, especially for children and pregnant women.