Health and Safety In Nuclear Org.

In summary, Choppy is looking for suggestions on a research topic for a doctoral thesis in Health and Safety in Nuclear Organisation. She is concerned about choosing a topic based on personal interests rather than what is currently being studied in the field, and is looking for advice on finding a reputable source of information. She asks for recommendations on specific topics or case studies to pursue, and offers to listen to others' opinions on the matter.
mr nice guy
Hi,
I am a new member here...
I am a Doctoral candidate. I am looking for suggestions on research topics for a Ph.D. thesis in "Health and Safety in Nuclear Organisation". I would appreciate any ideas that you might have on topics that you might feel are worth considering as a result of your experience. What follows is some background so that you may understand my situation.

I've a medical background -I have completed my MSc in Blood Transfusion Science and BSc(Hon) in Biomedical Science and I am currently pursuing doctoral studies. I am in the process of coming up with a thesis topic to propose to my graduate department. I am thinking about Health & Safety in nuclear/radioactive organisation-but need some advice and suggestions.

I would be grateful if you can help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean health and safety in a nuclear energy workplace? Or do you mean the organization of health and safety standards within a workplace? Or are you talking about the health consequences of long term storage of radioisotopes?

Also - it's probably not a good idea to base a PhD thesis on the suggestions of random people online. If you don't already have a good idea of what the hot areas are in your subject area - why did you choose to pursue a PhD in this field?

Choppy said:
Do you mean health and safety in a nuclear energy workplace? Or do you mean the organization of health and safety standards within a workplace? Or are you talking about the health consequences of long term storage of radioisotopes?

Also - it's probably not a good idea to base a PhD thesis on the suggestions of random people online. If you don't already have a good idea of what the hot areas are in your subject area - why did you choose to pursue a PhD in this field?

Hi Choppy
yes, I mean health and safety in nuclear energy workplace

Do you not have a Ph.D. advisor who is familiar with the field and can help you choose a specific dissertation topic? This is the usual practice in the US; is this not the case where you are?

actually no i don't have any advisor

You could look into something called radiation hormesis. Typically radiation safety standards apply a linear no threshold model for purposes of safety - the assumption being that any amount of radiation can be harmful. However, there is some evidence to suggest that exposure to low levels of radiation can actually improve overall health and reduce cancer rates. This is a somewhat controversial area.

Another option might be coducting some case studies into radiation accidents. Why is it that exposure incidents still happen despite strict regulations in the industry?

Another option mught be perception versus truth. Many people in the workplace now were a part of the "duck and cover" generation - growing up they were taught drills for nuclear attacks in school and this naturally has led to a public fear of all things radioactive. In perspective, is this fear warranted compared to other workplace risks?

Choppy said:
You could look into something called radiation hormesis. Typically radiation safety standards apply a linear no threshold model for purposes of safety - the assumption being that any amount of radiation can be harmful. However, there is some evidence to suggest that exposure to low levels of radiation can actually improve overall health and reduce cancer rates. This is a somewhat controversial area.

Another option might be coducting some case studies into radiation accidents. Why is it that exposure incidents still happen despite strict regulations in the industry?

Another option mught be perception versus truth. Many people in the workplace now were a part of the "duck and cover" generation - growing up they were taught drills for nuclear attacks in school and this naturally has led to a public fear of all things radioactive. In perspective, is this fear warranted compared to other workplace risks?

Dear Choppy
Thanks for your concern and for answering my question
I think "radiation accidents" is good topic ...I am also reading some studies and reviews around this issue...I have been feeling lost ... Thanks Choppy for your valuable suggestions

mr nice guy said:
actually no i don't have any advisor

Then there's something wrong with your school.

This is very puzzling. If you are in a US institution, unless your Advisor left or died, you MUST have a Ph.D advisor for your research dissertation. He/she is the only person who can approve any dissertation work for your Ph.D consideration. You can't simply choose any topic you like. If your department has no one would is willing to serve as your mentor in a particular subject, then all the suggestion that we give you on here is a total waste of time.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Then there's something wrong with your school.

This is very puzzling. If you are in a US institution, unless your Advisor left or died, you MUST have a Ph.D advisor for your research dissertation. He/she is the only person who can approve any dissertation work for your Ph.D consideration. You can't simply choose any topic you like. If your department has no one would is willing to serve as your mentor in a particular subject, then all the suggestion that we give you on here is a total waste of time.

Zz.

I have supervisor but not advisor...cant explain more!

mr nice guy said:
I have supervisor but not advisor...cant explain more!

Then neither can I with respect to your question.

Zz.

Related to Health and Safety In Nuclear Org.

1. What is the purpose of health and safety measures in nuclear organizations?

The purpose of health and safety measures in nuclear organizations is to protect workers, the public, and the environment from the potential hazards of nuclear materials and processes. This includes preventing and mitigating accidents, controlling exposure to radiation, and ensuring the safe handling and storage of nuclear materials.

2. How are health and safety regulations enforced in nuclear organizations?

Health and safety regulations in nuclear organizations are enforced by government agencies, such as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission in the United States. These agencies have strict oversight and inspection processes to ensure that nuclear organizations comply with all safety regulations.

3. What measures are in place to prevent accidents and incidents in nuclear organizations?

Nuclear organizations have a variety of measures in place to prevent accidents and incidents. This includes strict protocols for handling and storing nuclear materials, regular training for employees, and safety checks and inspections on equipment and facilities.

4. How are workers protected from radiation exposure in nuclear organizations?

Workers in nuclear organizations are protected from radiation exposure through a combination of engineering controls, administrative controls, and personal protective equipment. This includes maintaining safe distances from radioactive materials, properly shielding sources of radiation, and providing workers with appropriate protective gear.

5. What happens in the event of a nuclear accident in an organization?

In the event of a nuclear accident in an organization, emergency response plans are immediately put into action. This may include evacuating the area, containing the spread of radiation, and providing medical treatment to those who may have been exposed. The organization is also required to report the accident to the appropriate government agencies and conduct a thorough investigation to identify the cause and prevent future incidents.