He guys I uploaded a pic but it doesn't show as my avatar when I

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
In summary: That way, it's not a requirement to be a contributing member in order to have an avatar.Welcome Dory! Avatars are a perk for our contributing members, Science Advisor and Homework Helper staff, mentors and administrators. If you can suggest alternative ways to pay the expenses of maintaining this forum, please let us know.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
He guys...I uploaded a pic but it doesn't show as my avatar when I post, only when I click my profile... um... as I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dory said:
He guys...I uploaded a pic but it doesn't show as my avatar when I post, only when I click my profile... um... as I missing something?
Welcome Dory! Avatars are a perk for our contributing members, Science Advisor and Homework Helper staff, mentors and administrators.

You can become a contributing member here - https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Well...thanks for the welcome.. but you have to pay for an avatar? That's a first...I kinda resent that...but your forum your rules...

Dory said:
Well...thanks for the welcome.. but you have to pay for an avatar? That's a first...I kinda resent that...but your forum your rules...
No, you're not paying for an avatar, you are contributing to keep the forum going.

Some of the *perks* that come along are no advertisements, a larger PM box, a signature, and an Avatar.

You do get to post an avatar in your profile as a non-contributing member.

Of course you can show your avatar in the members photo thread, by uploading it as attachment or to a photo site, like tinypic and then paste the link with img tags like this

2v36ahl.gif

Dory said:
If you can suggest alternative ways to pay the expenses of maintaining this forum, please let us know. Just relying on advertising income alone is not sufficient, so that's why we have an optional pay-for-membership (which includes an avatar among other things). Without that, either the forum would have to shut down or somebody would have to use their own personal money to pay expenses.

That's fair enough, in fact I've been a member of countless forums that had premium options and never made a peeps about it, it's just the first time I run into "avatar" being classified as a premium perk... which is why I resent that... I don't know... just seems to me like a basic thing all members should have... but hey..if you think you might lose money who am I to talk? :P Just surprised me as this is a first for me as an old web user...

There should be a perk where if you get a friend or even two to contribute, you unlock the aforementioned features.

Related to He guys I uploaded a pic but it doesn't show as my avatar when I

1. Why doesn't my uploaded picture show as my avatar?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure that the picture you uploaded meets the requirements for avatars on the website or platform. These requirements may include file type, size, and dimensions. Also, check if the avatar feature is enabled on the website or platform. If it is, then try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache. If the issue persists, there may be a technical issue with the website or platform that you can report to their support team.

2. How long does it take for my uploaded picture to show as my avatar?

The time it takes for your uploaded picture to appear as your avatar may vary depending on the website or platform. Some websites or platforms may have a manual review process for avatars, while others may have automatic updates. If the avatar feature is enabled and your picture meets the requirements, it should appear as your avatar within a few minutes to a few hours.

3. Can I change my avatar after uploading a picture?

Yes, you can usually change your avatar at any time. Some websites or platforms may have limitations on how often you can change your avatar or may require you to wait a certain period of time before changing it again. Check the website or platform's settings or FAQ section for more information on changing avatars.

4. Will my uploaded picture be visible to others?

This depends on the privacy settings of the website or platform. Some may allow your avatar to be visible to everyone, while others may have options for only certain users or friends to see your avatar. You can usually adjust your privacy settings in your account settings or profile page.

5. Why is my picture being rejected as an avatar?

If your picture is not meeting the requirements for avatars on the website or platform, it may be rejected. Check the guidelines for avatars and make sure your picture is the correct file type, size, and dimensions. If your picture does meet the requirements and is still being rejected, it could be due to a technical issue or violation of the website or platform's terms of use.