HCl + Mg = decrease in pH? Why?

In summary, the experiment showed that when the concentration of HCl decreases, the pH reading on a glass electrode may become incorrect. Additionally, it was pointed out that when magnesium is powdered and added to a solution of HCl, it does not react. This might be due to the small ionic radius of magnesium and the 2+ charge.
shredder666
I did an experiment today, I put some magnesium in HCl solution (pH of around 1 or so) , but for some reason the pH decreased (turned more acidic), and my teacher said that's expected but didn't tell me why it happens.

Enlighten me, please.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This may come through as strange, but the Mg+2 may behave like H+1 to the glass electrode and by so doing, show a lowered pH reading.

Also, somehow, putting Magnesium (what form do you really mean?) into either water or anqueous solution seems like a bad idea. Am I missing something here?

well, I'm supposed to find effect of surface area on the rate of reaction

used strip Mg powder Mg and ball Mg in HCl solutions, I really expected the pH to increase cus of the H2 gas escaping but that was not the case... btw Mg is like metal Mg (pure)

symbolipoint said:
This may come through as strange, but the Mg+2 may behave like H+1 to the glass electrode and by so doing, show a lowered pH reading.

This is so called alkaline error or sodium error, compare

http://www.ph-meter.info/pH-electrode-selectivity

But I doubt that's what is happening here, these are mainly single charged cations that interfere.

Not sure what is going on.

Any changes to the temperature of solution?

--

Last edited:
well i tried to keep the temperature controlled, but the overall reaction is exothermic, but then i used like 0.05grams of magnesium so the temperature change should be really small. BTW I looked up in some textbooks, and apparently due to the small ionic radius and the 2+ charge, the Mg ion acts as a electrophile and pulls the electron density in water in, and makes it give H+ to water thus making it into H3O+

I have another problem tho, the powdered magnesium just floats on the acid and doesn't look like its reacting o_O

That sounds REALLY STRANGE to me, but then it happened in 5/5 trials I did (and yes, I made sure that the solution is HCl)

I have forwarded the question to one of the mailing lists I am on, that's what I got:

At low end of the pH the glass electrode doesn't read the pH very well. When the concentration of HCl decreased, probably the glass eletrode (if that was used) started to read the correct pH.

This was the only answer so far, and if things are obvious they are usually ripped to shreds in no time.

--
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - ,
www.ph-meter.info - , ph electrode

glass electrode... hmm... I used Vernier Lab Quest Apparatuses and it had a glass bulb with a filament? inside on the end of the stick , is that what a glass electrode is?

wow that's a real eye opener, thnx y'all

got another problem...powdered magnesium doesn't react with HCl...

Not sure what could've happened, could contamination lead to zero reactivity?
or maybe there was a reaction, its just not obvious (no fizzing or anything, the powder just floats o_O

Related to HCl + Mg = decrease in pH? Why?

What is the chemical reaction that occurs when HCl and Mg are combined?

The chemical reaction that occurs when HCl and Mg are combined is an acid-base reaction. The HCl (hydrochloric acid) is an acid, while the Mg (magnesium) is a base. When they react, the HCl donates a proton (H+) to the Mg, forming MgCl2 (magnesium chloride) and decreasing the pH.

How does the combination of HCl and Mg lead to a decrease in pH?

The combination of HCl and Mg leads to a decrease in pH because the HCl is a strong acid and the Mg is a strong base. When they react, the HCl completely dissociates into H+ ions and Cl- ions, while the Mg also releases OH- ions. The H+ ions combine with the OH- ions to form water (H2O), leaving behind excess H+ ions and decreasing the pH of the solution.

What is the role of HCl and Mg in the decrease of pH?

HCl and Mg both play important roles in the decrease of pH. HCl is a strong acid and Mg is a strong base, so when they react, they neutralize each other and form a salt (MgCl2). This reaction also releases H+ ions, which contribute to the decrease in pH.

What factors can influence the degree of pH decrease in the reaction between HCl and Mg?

The degree of pH decrease in the reaction between HCl and Mg can be influenced by several factors. These include the concentration of HCl and Mg, the temperature of the solution, and the presence of other substances that may affect the reaction. Additionally, the initial pH of the solution and the ratio of HCl to Mg can also impact the overall decrease in pH.

Can the combination of HCl and Mg lead to an increase in pH instead of a decrease?

No, the combination of HCl and Mg will always result in a decrease in pH. This is because HCl is a strong acid and Mg is a strong base, and their reaction will always produce excess H+ ions that will lower the pH of the solution. However, the degree of decrease may vary depending on the factors mentioned above.