HCl Energy and Angular Momentum ?

In summary: Where I is the reduced mass of the molecule. For the first nonzero rotational state, J=1 and M=0. Therefore, Lz is equal to 0. In summary, the bond distance for HCl is 1.29 A and at the lowest rotational state, the energy is zero. The energy levels for a rigid rotor can be calculated using the equation E = B*J*(J+1), where B is the rotational constant. The angular momentum Lz is quantized in units of h-bar and for the first nonzero rotational state, J=1 and M=0, resulting in Lz=0.
Rick2015
The bond distance for HCl is 1.29 A. At the lowest rotational state the energy is zero.
What is the energy and angular momentum Lz corresponding to the first nonzero rotational state?

I m not sure if I am approaching this problem right.
first I did 1.2 A = 8.3 x 10^7 cm^-1
Then I used this equation for energy because HCl has characteristic of diatomic molecule.
E = (v cm^-1)hc100
is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rick2015 said:
The bond distance for HCl is 1.29 A. At the lowest rotational state the energy is zero.
What is the energy and angular momentum Lz corresponding to the first nonzero rotational state?

I m not sure if I am approaching this problem right.
first I did 1.2 A = 8.3 x 10^7 cm^-1
Then I used this equation for energy because HCl has characteristic of diatomic molecule.
E = (v cm^-1)hc100
is this right?

This is not right.

The energy levels for a rigid rotor look like:

E = B*J*(J+1), where B is the rotational constant.

You can calculate B using the bond distance and the reduced mass. For Cl there are two isotopes with significant natural occurrences.

For the lowest level, J=0, E=0.

Angular momentum is similar.

Wikipedia has an ok discussion of this. Google "rigid rotor energy levels"

Ok. Thanks
So B = hbar/2I
And for the angular momentum: Lz = Mj hbar
but if J = 1 ; M = -1, 0, 1 right?
lost again? because if I just use 1 I will have Lz = hbar

Rick2015 said:
Ok. Thanks
So B = hbar/2I
And for the angular momentum: Lz = Mj hbar
but if J = 1 ; M = -1, 0, 1 right?
lost again? because if I just use 1 I will have Lz = hbar

Your equation for B is still not correct...
Angular momentum is quantized in units of h-bar

B = hbar^2 / 2 I

Related to HCl Energy and Angular Momentum ?

What is HCl energy?

HCl energy refers to the energy associated with the molecule hydrogen chloride (HCl). This energy is determined by the arrangement of the atoms and the strength of the bonds between them.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

How can HCl energy be measured?

HCl energy can be measured through various methods, such as spectroscopy or calorimetry. These techniques involve analyzing the interactions between HCl molecules and other substances to determine the energy levels present.

What factors affect the energy of HCl?

The energy of HCl can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules or ions. Changes in these conditions can alter the arrangement of HCl atoms and thus impact its energy.

What is the relationship between HCl energy and angular momentum?

HCl energy and angular momentum are related through the molecule's rotational energy. As HCl molecules rotate, they have both kinetic energy (related to angular momentum) and potential energy (related to the strength of their bonds).