Having trouble grasping Fluid Mechanics. Tips?

In summary, this student struggles to put together concepts from Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics into a cohesive whole. He feels overwhelmed by the sheer number of equations he needs to know in order to solve problems. He recommends breaking down the problem into smaller parts and focusing on understanding the underlying principles. He also recommends using diagrams to help him visualize the situation.
Mike415
Ive found Fluids and Heat Transfer stuff to be difficult so far in my learning. I, for some reason, can't put everything together and feel like there is just this overwhelming abundance of equations that you need to know how to manipulate to get what is asked. My issue is that I don't know where to start when given a problem and told to find something like the velocity field. Basically, this type of problem is expected in engineering, but in Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics I feel like I am just sinking and in way over my head. Other classes are much easier for me like Int. Dynamics or Vibrations.

So now I am here studying for a Fluids II test and I am just completely over my head. I was hoping someone could shed some light on maybe a new way of thinking that would help me put this all together.

This may be a bit too broad, but really its all I can manage to say since I am so lost.

Im dealing with Pipe Flows, Flow over a body, Navier Stokes, Bernoullis, Drag, Lift.

Its not things like Reynolds numbers that I have issues with, its things like when to use the conv. of mass versus energy, vs Bernoullis, vs Navier Stokes. I have hundreds of equations all over my worksheets, books and notes, and its just a mess that I am looking for tidy up in my brain.

I did well in the first Fluids since it was applications of a few equations, but when I am given a ton of derivations and equations and told to use them I fall flat.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would greatly appreciate any advice or help, whether it be a different way of thinking, or a specific reference that has helped you in the past. One suggestion I can offer is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It's important to understand the underlying concepts and principles of fluid mechanics, but sometimes it can be helpful to take a step back and look at the problem as a whole. Start by breaking down the problem into its component parts, and then focus on solving each part individually. This will help you to better understand the overall problem, and also make it easier to identify which equations are appropriate for each part. Additionally, if you can draw diagrams of each part of the problem, this can help you to visualize the situation better. Once you have worked through each part of the problem, you can then combine the solutions to get the overall solution.

Related to Having trouble grasping Fluid Mechanics. Tips?

1. What are some general tips for understanding Fluid Mechanics?

One tip is to focus on the fundamentals and build a strong foundation. This includes understanding the basic principles and equations, as well as practicing problem solving. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. How can I improve my intuition for Fluid Mechanics?

One way to improve intuition is to visualize the concepts and phenomena. This can be done through drawings, simulations, or physical models. Additionally, practicing with real-world examples can help develop a better understanding of how fluid mechanics applies to different situations.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in Fluid Mechanics?

One common mistake is not paying attention to units and dimensions. It's important to keep track of units and make sure they are consistent throughout calculations. Another mistake is not checking the assumptions made in a problem, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

4. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with understanding Fluid Mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available such as videos, tutorials, interactive simulations, and practice problems. Some popular websites for learning Fluid Mechanics include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Fluids101 by Colorado State University.

5. How can I apply Fluid Mechanics in real life?

Fluid Mechanics has many applications in engineering, physics, and everyday life. Some examples include designing efficient pipelines for transporting fluids, understanding the mechanics of blood flow in the human body, and analyzing the aerodynamics of airplanes. It can also be applied in areas such as weather forecasting, environmental studies, and sports science.