Having problem solving a limit

You've now shown us you can do the same work as HallsofIvy. You both arrived at the same solution now; it's looking good.
the_morbidus
having problem solving a limit!

Homework Statement

Solve the following limits algebraically.

lim x->5 x^2 - 25 / √(2x+6) -4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i've tried a different few ways.

so by factoring the top i have (x+5)(x-5) so i get x=5 or x=-5, and while 5 is the limit, -5 on top with the square it will just render the negative sign useless.

tried to multiply the bottom cognitive
(x^2-25)(√(2x+6)+4)/(√(2x+6)-4)(√(2x+6)+4) =
=(x^2-25)(√(2x+6)+4)/(√(2x+6))^2 - (4)^2 =
=(x^2-25)(√(2x+6)+4)/2x+6-16=
=(x^2-25)(√(2x+6)+4)/2x-10

i'm stuck here and i doubt this is even the proper route.

Physics news on Phys.org

the_morbidus said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

so by factoring the top i have (x+5)(x-5) so i get x=5 or x=-5, and while 5 is the limit, -5 on top with the square it will just render the negative sign useless.

Multiplying by the conjugate over itself is a useful approach.

[tex]\lim_{x \to 5}\frac{(x-5)(x+5)}{\sqrt{2x+6}-4}\cdot \frac{\sqrt{2x+6} + 4}{\sqrt{2x+6} + 4}[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{x \to 5}\frac{(x-5)(x+5)(\sqrt{2x+6} + 4)}{(\sqrt{2x+6}-4) \cdot (\sqrt{2x+6} + 4)}[/tex]
Can you take it from here?

What you really mean is
[tex]Lim_{x\rightarrow 5} \frac{x^2-25}{\sqrt{2x+6}-4}[/tex]

Most of your work looks good. Try then dividing numerator and denominator by either x, or x^2 ?

Mark44 said:
Multiplying by the conjugate over itself is a useful approach.

[tex]\lim_{x \to 5}\frac{(x-5)(x+5)}{\sqrt{2x+6}-4}\cdot \frac{\sqrt{2x+6} + 4}{\sqrt{2x+6} + 4}[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{x \to 5}\frac{(x-5)(x+5)(\sqrt{2x+6} + 4)}{(\sqrt{2x+6}-4)\cdot (\sqrt{2x+6} + 4)}[/tex]
Can you take it from here?

He appeared to be doing that; maybe I was confused looking at all the steps and symbols through text?
EDIT: Give me the chance to try the problem myself; maybe more comment later.

OK, very neat. Just multiplying numerator and denominator by conjugate gives you something to simplify and then simple substitution of x=5 can be evaluated with no complications.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_morbidus said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Both numerator and denominator are 0 when x= 5 therefore both have a factor of x- 5:
[tex]\frac{(x- 5)(x+ 5)(\sqrt{2x+ 6}+ 4)}{2(x- 5)}[/tex]

thank you guys, when I woke up this morning and having looked at a few other problems I arrived at the same solution as HallsofIvy, I then removed the (x-5) and substituted the x for 5 and i got 40 as the limit I think.

the_morbidus said:
thank you guys, when I woke up this morning and having looked at a few other problems I arrived at the same solution as HallsofIvy, I then removed the (x-5) and substituted the x for 5 and i got 40 as the limit I think.

Yes, and in fact, you both think and KNOW for sure now.

Related to Having problem solving a limit

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in mathematics that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim".

2. How do I know if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the function approaches the same value from both sides of the input value. This means that the left and right limits must be equal to each other. If this condition is met, the limit exists.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the specific value from one direction (either the left or the right). A two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of the function from both directions, and the limit only exists if the behavior is the same from both sides.

4. How do I solve a limit algebraically?

To solve a limit algebraically, you can use various techniques such as factoring, simplifying, or using algebraic identities. You can also use the properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules, to help you evaluate the limit.

5. Why is it important to understand limits?

Limits are crucial in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, where they are used to define derivatives and integrals. They also have real-world applications in physics, engineering, and economics. Understanding limits allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values, which is essential in solving many problems.