Having more than one mother language

In summary: Our mother tongues, or the languages we are most familiar with, are processed in a different way in the brain than other languages. Children brought up in a multilingual environment will be able to fluently speak multiple languages, even if they are not technically native speakers.
mech-eng
Some people claim that they have two mother languages. This seems to me very strange. Is it reasonable or scientific to have more than one mother language? As far as I know, mother languages and foreign/learnt languages belong to different parts of brain. One of them was a immigrant family living in Britain. He has spoken both English and Turkish since he was born.

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
Some people claim that they have two mother languages. This seems to me very strange. Is it reasonable or scientific to have more than one mother language? As far as I know, mother languages and foreign/learnt languages belong to different parts of brain. One of them was a immigrant family living in Britain. He has spoken both English and Turkish since he was born.
As far as I can judge from own experiences, there is only one mother language. This does not imply that children cannot grow up bilingual and I've heard of cases even trilingual. They then tend to neglect the writing in the second language while the spoken word is still excellent, and they automatically switch languages to the one the addressed person normally speaks, even if this person uses the other one. They intuitively know what the mother language of their dialogue partner is and choose this one to answer in. After a while they start to develop a dialect in their second language according to the first one, if they aren't forced to actually live in an environment that uses the second language. These are observations on single cases and from what I've once heard on a radio documentation about this issue. I do not claim that the above is always true, but in four out of four cases it was.

Likes mech-eng
I know quite a few families where the husband is American and the wife is foreign born. In many of these families, the children learn both languages from the time that they learn to speak. Since they live in the U.S., it might be reasonable to think that their mother tongue is English because that is what they are exposed to the most. However, some of these families regularly travel to the wife's country of origin for extended periods where her language is the commonly spoken one. If the child is equally versed in both languages, how can you say which is the "mother tongue"? I see those children bounce back and forth between languages like it's nothing. I do agree with @fresh_42 that some of the families tend to neglect writing skills in one of the two languages. However, some do focus on fully training their children in both.

BTW, I have seen this dynamic lead to some funny assumptions by young children. I knew a family where the husband was American and only spoke English but the wife was Russian and spoke that to their child. One day, my wife and I saw the mother and child while we were walking. I bent down and said the Russian word for hello to the child. She was very confused and said something in Russian to her mother. My wife and her mother both started laughing. The girl was confused because she thought that only women spoke Russian. :oldtongue:

Since this is GD, I'll cite the following without reference (too lazy to dig it up). My understanding is that the processing of foreign languages in the brain does not show the same activity pattern as that of the mother tongue, but for that children brought up in multilingual environments, different languages can be classified as mother tongues because the brain processes them the same.

DrClaude said:
Since this is GD, I'll cite the following without reference (too lazy to dig it up). My understanding is that the processing of foreign languages in the brain does not show the same activity pattern as that of the mother tongue, but for that children brought up in multilingual environments, different languages can be classified as mother tongues because the brain processes them the same.

Does this means having more than one mother language is possible?

mech-eng said:
Does this means having more than one mother language is possible?
As far as I understand it, yes.

Related to Having more than one mother language

1. What are the benefits of having more than one mother language?

Having more than one mother language can bring many benefits, such as improved cognitive abilities, better job opportunities, and increased cultural awareness and understanding. Multilingual individuals also have the ability to communicate with a wider range of people and access a larger pool of information.

2. Can learning multiple languages at a young age affect a person's brain development?

Yes, studies have shown that learning multiple languages at a young age can positively impact brain development. It can enhance problem-solving skills, improve memory and attention span, and even delay the onset of age-related cognitive decline.

3. Is it possible to become fluent in multiple languages?

Yes, it is possible to become fluent in multiple languages. It requires dedication, practice, and exposure to the language. It is easier to become fluent in a language if it is learned at a young age or in an immersive environment.

4. Are there any challenges associated with having more than one mother language?

There can be challenges associated with having more than one mother language, such as mixing up words or grammar structures from different languages, or feeling pressure to maintain fluency in all languages. However, these challenges can be overcome with practice and patience.

5. Can learning multiple languages benefit a person's career?

Yes, being multilingual can greatly benefit a person's career. It can open up job opportunities in international companies, increase chances of being hired for certain positions, and even lead to higher salaries. Additionally, being able to communicate with clients or colleagues in their native language can improve relationships and business outcomes.