Having difficulty in understanding vertical circular motion?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand the concepts of vertical circular motion despite being able to solve numerical problems. They believe they are lacking a fundamental understanding of the topic and are seeking advice on how to master it. They mention being confused about conceptual questions and are advised to first understand circular motion in a horizontal plane and the formula F = v2/r. They are also encouraged to engage in the mathematical aspect of circular motion for a deeper understanding.
Vivan Vatsa
I am having trouble understanding the concepts of vertical circular motion , though I solve all the numericals , but I think I am lacking the basic concepts of VCM.
Explain how I can master this topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
At what level do you want to "master" it?
Do you want a way to describe the motion all the way round? Do you want to consider the Energy at the top and the bottom? What?

Vivan Vatsa said:
I am having trouble understanding the concepts of vertical circular motion , though I solve all the numericals , but I think I am lacking the basic concepts of VCM.
Explain how I can master this topic?

What exactly are you having trouble with?

I am basically having trouble in understanding most of the conceptual questions.!

Vivan Vatsa said:
I am basically having trouble in understanding most of the conceptual questions.!
You would need to be a bit more detailed if you want any joy on this thread.
Circular motion in a horizontal plane needs to be understood first. Do you recognise the formula F = v2/r means and appreciate what it implies? You have to get involved in the Maths of this is you want anything but the most basic appreciation of circular motion.

Related to Having difficulty in understanding vertical circular motion?

1. What is vertical circular motion?

Vertical circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path while also moving up and down vertically. An example of this type of motion is a roller coaster going up and down a loop.

2. What causes difficulty in understanding vertical circular motion?

Some common causes of difficulty in understanding vertical circular motion include the complex nature of the motion, the presence of multiple forces acting on the object, and the need to understand concepts such as centripetal force and velocity.

3. How is centripetal force related to vertical circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of vertical circular motion, the centripetal force acts towards the center of the circle, allowing the object to move in a circular path while also moving up and down vertically.

4. How can I visualize vertical circular motion?

One way to visualize vertical circular motion is to think of a pendulum. The pendulum swings back and forth, but the object at the end of the pendulum is also moving in a vertical circular motion as it swings. Another way is to imagine a ball attached to a string that is being swung around in a vertical circle.

5. What are some real-life examples of vertical circular motion?

Some common real-life examples of vertical circular motion include a roller coaster, a Ferris wheel, a swing, a satellite in orbit, and a ball being thrown in a circular path.