Having a very hard time in my PRECALC CLASS

The 6 comes from the fact that the original problem has a factor of (4x+5)^2, which is equivalent to (2)(2)(4x+5)^2. So when that is factored out, it leaves a coefficient of 6. In summary, the student is having trouble with a precalculus problem involving factoring and simplifying expressions. They are confused about where certain numbers came from in the given solution and are seeking clarification. The expert explains that the numbers were factored out and rearranged to make the solution more clear and straightforward.
DeepSpace9
Having a very hard time in my PRECALC CLASS.
When they facto problems they start pulling numbers out of numbers that aren't there..
Example..

3(4x+5)^2 (4)(5x+1)^2 + (4x+5)^3 (2) (5x+1)(5)

Professor said this was the answer.

a) 2(4x+5)^2(5x+1)[6(5x+1)+5(4x+5)]
=
b) 2(4x+5)^2(5x+1)[50x+31] (After combining like terms)

My questions is

Where I labeled a) where did she get the 6 from and the 5 from?
I can see she got the 5 from the original problem, but I thought if she factored out a 2 as a GCF the 5 would be reduced to a smaller number, and the 6 comes out of no where.. HELP

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thanks for the help guys.

Hey DeepSpace9.

Recall that 3*4 = 12 = 6*2 and 5*2 = 10 = 5*2 [Look at the factorization again carefully with the hint mentioned]

So the 6 comes from the fact that (3)(4) = 12 and since I factor out a (2) I would need a (6) to = 12 again? I didn't think we could use a 6 since it was not in the original problem.

Yes that's pretty much it.

Related to Having a very hard time in my PRECALC CLASS

1. Why am I struggling in my precalculus class?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are having a hard time in your precalculus class. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the material, difficulty with the concepts, or not enough practice and study time. It's important to identify the specific areas that you are struggling with and seek help from your teacher or a tutor.

2. How can I improve my performance in precalculus?

Improving your performance in precalculus requires dedication and consistent effort. Start by reviewing your notes and textbook, and make sure you understand the basic concepts. Practice regularly and seek help when needed. Additionally, try to engage in class and ask questions to clarify any doubts. Utilizing resources such as online tutorials and practice problems can also be beneficial.

3. Is precalculus a difficult subject?

Precalculus can be challenging for some students as it builds upon the fundamental concepts of algebra and geometry. However, with consistent practice and a strong foundation in these subjects, precalculus can become more manageable. It's important to stay motivated and seek help when needed.

4. What are some common mistakes students make in precalculus?

One common mistake students make in precalculus is not reviewing their notes regularly and not seeking help when they are struggling. Another mistake is not practicing enough and relying too heavily on memorization instead of understanding the concepts. It's also important to pay attention to details and avoid making careless errors.

5. How can I stay motivated in precalculus?

Precalculus can be a challenging subject, but staying motivated is crucial to your success. One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate when you reach them. Additionally, try to make connections between precalculus and real-life applications to understand the importance of the subject. Lastly, don't hesitate to ask for help when needed, as overcoming obstacles can also be motivating.