Have you ever heard of a hedgehoglet orphangarten?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary: Not really. Have been a lot out-of-doors, 70% of Oslo is actually public woodlands.I just forgot those animals were martens, too, not just the pine marten..
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Where I grew up, there used to be quite a few hedgehogs.
Unfortunately, they have a deplorable tendency to curl up in a ball as a defensive mechanism, even against approaching cars..
Badgers are also a prroblem for the hedgehogs.

It has been years since I saw a live one.

This woman is doing something about it:
She receives orphaned hedgehoglets (??), and nurse them through the winter months before they are relocated to safer places:
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/article4138210.ece

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Awww, so cute. So nice to hear of good things. :smile:

Very cute little critters! Our porcupines are a lot more spiny. Dogs are no real threat to them, but fishers are very intelligent, strong, and fast, and can kill and eat them with impunity. I think that apart from fishers (whose populations might be suffering due to human development) cars are probably responsible for the death of more porcupines than natural causes.

Eeh, "fishers"??

Is that the same as fishermen?

arildno said:
Eeh, "fishers"??

Is that the same as fishermen?
No, fishers are members of the weasel family, just a bit lower on the predator chain than wolverines but no less effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal )

turbo-1 said:
No, fishers are members of the weasel family, just a bit lower on the predator chain than wolverines but no less effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal )
Oh, so it is a marten type of animal?

We've got one of those here in Norway; I think it is rather rare.

arildno said:
Oh, so it is a marten type of animal?

We've got one of those here in Norway; I think it is rather rare.
That family is not rare here. If you are quiet and patient, you will see weasels, minks, martens, and fishers in the woods. I have not seen a fisher from my back deck, but I have seen the others from there.

My father would have killed me for spouting such nonsense I'm guilty of (he was a biologist).
We have several marten types here in Norway; the pine marten I had in mind, but also stoat, least weasel, otter, mink and polecats.

Several of these are quite common.

arildno said:
My father would have killed me for spouting such nonsense I'm guilty of (he was a biologist).
We have several marten types here in Norway; the pine marten I had in mind, but also stoat, least weasel, otter, mink and polecats.

Several of these are quite common.
OK, I figured maybe you were a city-dweller and had little experience in the outdoors. Any northern climate with boreal forests should be home to many of these critters.

turbo-1 said:
OK, I figured maybe you were a city-dweller and had little experience in the outdoors. Any northern climate with boreal forests should be home to many of these critters.
Not really. Have been a lot out-of-doors, 70% of Oslo is actually public woodlands.
I just forgot those animals were martens, too, not just the pine marten..

1. What is a Hedgehoglet Orphangarten?

A Hedgehoglet Orphangarten is a facility dedicated to caring for and rehabilitating orphaned hedgehoglets. These are baby hedgehogs that have been separated from their mothers or abandoned and are in need of specialized care.

2. How do hedgehoglets end up in an orphangarten?

Hedgehoglets can end up in an orphangarten for various reasons. Some may have been orphaned due to the death of their mother, while others may have been found injured or abandoned. In some cases, hedgehoglets may also be brought to an orphangarten by owners who can no longer care for them.

3. What kind of care do hedgehoglets receive in an orphangarten?

In an orphangarten, hedgehoglets receive specialized care tailored to their specific needs. This may include bottle-feeding, providing a warm and safe environment, and monitoring their health and development. Orphangarten staff may also work to socialize the hedgehoglets and prepare them for release into the wild.

4. Can people visit or volunteer at a Hedgehoglet Orphangarten?

It depends on the specific orphangarten. Some may allow visitors and volunteers, while others may have strict policies in place to protect the health and well-being of the hedgehoglets. If you are interested in visiting or volunteering, it is best to contact the orphangarten directly to inquire about their policies.

5. What happens to hedgehoglets once they are ready to be released from the orphangarten?

Once hedgehoglets have reached a certain weight and are able to fend for themselves, they may be released back into the wild. However, this process may vary depending on the orphangarten. In some cases, hedgehoglets may be released into a specific area to help repopulate the hedgehog population, while in others they may be released individually into suitable habitats.

Back