Have you considered sustainability in your shampoo dispenser design?

• Thread starter petematic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary: This will help to create a misty effect when dispensed and help reduce the amount of shampoo that ends up in the drain.
petematic
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of making my own shampoo dispenser for my shower because when using shampoo there is problems getting all the shampoo out of the bottle. I'm going to make it dispense the shampoo using a sensor. There will be different settings for the length of someones hair, i.e. short, medium, and long. It will be attached to the shower wall using either suction cups or adhesive.

Instead of using a bottle of shampoo I want it to to use sachets. There will be rollers that roll out the shampoo out of the sachet but I think this is flawed. The whole idea is to reduce the amount of shampoo left in the bottle, thus saving money in the long run.

Problems:
I am not to sure about the device as it will be electrical parts. I don't really know how I will be able to section off the electrical circuit board and power it while making it water proof. Any suggestions?

Any other suggestions to design would be helpful as well.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
petematic said:
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of making my own shampoo dispenser for my shower because when using shampoo there is problems getting all the shampoo out of the bottle. I'm going to make it dispense the shampoo using a sensor. There will be different settings for the length of someones hair, i.e. short, medium, and long. It will be attached to the shower wall using either suction cups or adhesive.

Instead of using a bottle of shampoo I want it to to use sachets. There will be rollers that roll out the shampoo out of the sachet but I think this is flawed. The whole idea is to reduce the amount of shampoo left in the bottle, thus saving money in the long run.

Problems:
I am not to sure about the device as it will be electrical parts. I don't really know how I will be able to section off the electrical circuit board and power it while making it water proof. Any suggestions?

Any other suggestions to design would be helpful as well.

Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

(Is this project for school? If so, I will move the thread to our schoolwork section.)

I would tend to stay away from electrically powered stuff in the shower. It's probably not needed, and checking/changing batteries is a pain.

As long as the container is inverted, there is very little waste for the shampoo when the container gets close to empty. I would think you could make a nice mechanism that dispenses the shampoo from a bottle that allows air to displace the shampoo at the top, or from a flexible bladder that collapses as it empties. The latter is how the dispensers work here at my work's locker room showers...

hey,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it is for college. I would appreciate it if you could move the thread to that section, without having to write it again.

Thanks

petematic said:
hey,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it is for college. I would appreciate it if you could move the thread to that section, without having to write it again.

Thanks

No worries.

One other thing you might look into is making the dispenser add air bubbles into the shampoo as it dispenses it. Kind of a "foamer" action (not sure what to call it).

for sharing your project with me. I would suggest considering the sustainability and environmental impact of your shampoo dispenser. While using sachets may reduce the amount of shampoo left in the bottle, it also creates more waste as the sachets will need to be disposed of after each use. Have you considered using refillable containers or biodegradable packaging instead? Additionally, ensuring the electrical components are properly waterproofed is crucial for safety and functionality. You may want to consult with an electrical engineer to ensure your design is safe and effective. Overall, it's great to see innovation and problem-solving in everyday tasks like shampooing. Keep up the good work and continue to think about the bigger picture in your design process.

Related to Have you considered sustainability in your shampoo dispenser design?

1. How does a shampoo dispenser work?

A shampoo dispenser works by holding a large amount of shampoo in a container and using a pump mechanism to dispense a controlled amount of shampoo when the user presses down on the pump. This allows for easy and mess-free distribution of shampoo.

2. What materials are commonly used to build a shampoo dispenser?

The most commonly used materials for building a shampoo dispenser are plastic, stainless steel, and glass. These materials are durable, easy to clean, and can withstand exposure to water and shampoo.

3. Can a shampoo dispenser be used for other liquids?

Yes, a shampoo dispenser can be used for other liquids such as body wash, hand soap, or even condiments like ketchup or mustard. However, it is important to thoroughly clean the dispenser before switching to a different liquid to avoid cross-contamination.

4. How do you refill a shampoo dispenser?

To refill a shampoo dispenser, simply unscrew or pop off the top of the dispenser and pour in the desired amount of shampoo. Make sure to leave enough space at the top to allow for the pump mechanism to fit back on. Then, secure the top back on and test the dispenser to ensure it is working properly.

5. Are there different types of shampoo dispensers available?

Yes, there are various types of shampoo dispensers available on the market. Some have a traditional push-down pump mechanism, while others have a touchless sensor for a more hygienic option. There are also wall-mounted dispensers for use in shower or bathroom settings, as well as countertop versions for use in a home or salon setting.