Hate Rollover Ads? Here's Why!

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the annoyance of rollover ads on websites and programs. The participants express their hatred towards these ads, especially the ones with sound, and offer solutions such as using adblockers and turning off sound. They also discuss the importance of eliminating ads and the frustration of websites that automatically play audio ads. Some participants recommend using specific browsers and add-ons to block ads.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I HATE Rollover ads!

Don't you hate these god awful advertisements on websites and programs?? WHO INVENTED THEM!? They're the ads that pop out at you simply by moving your mouse over it. Hell, 99% of the time I never notice its a rollover ad until my mouse wanders over it and BOOM, ad all over your face. What a pain!

*rant over*

Physics news on Phys.org

I hate those, but not as much as the ones with sound.

Adblock is your friend. :wink:

Pengwuino said:
Don't you hate these god awful advertisements on websites and programs?? WHO INVENTED THEM!? They're the ads that pop out at you simply by moving your mouse over it. Hell, 99% of the time I never notice its a rollover ad until my mouse wanders over it and BOOM, ad all over your face. What a pain!

*rant over*
I second your rant. :grumpy:

Evo said:
I keep the sound off - and only turn it on when listening to a video or audio clip.

I find nearly all adds very annoying and obnoxious - and I am much less likely to consider a product when an associated add is obnoxious. I don't watch commercial TV (except on rare occasions) or listen to commercial radio precisely because of the stupid adds and loud obnoxious personalities. On the rare occasions I do watch (or listen to) a commercial station - I'll either leave the room during commercials and/or mute the sound.

Evo said:

Just yesterday I was browsing for something with three windows open and then next thing I knew there was some audio ad playing. I looked at my various tabs to try to figure out which it was coming from but there were not any images on any of the tabs that appeared to have anything to do with what I was hearing. I never figured out where it was coming from.

Pengwuino said:

*rant over*

Turn off Javascript and popups in your browser except the websites where you need them. That will stop most of them. There are also ways of eliminating 99% of all advertisements but, I don't think Greg would appreciate me posting that here. :smile:

Pengwuino said:

*rant over*

The new Yahoo! update is the worst for that...

I think everything on the freakin page is rollover...

Evo said:

I keep the speakers on my computer muted unless there's something I really want to hear.

Same here, much better than to hear some annoying sound coming form your computer...

Worst of all are the ill-behaved ads that take you right to the content you are trying to avoid when you try to close the ad. I often search for lyrics, etc, and I swear that the music-related sites are the kings of mal-ware.

Firefox with NoScript FTW! The Internet is a much more comfortable experience with this add-on.

1. What are hate rollover ads?

Hate rollover ads are online advertisements that appear when a user hovers over or clicks on a specific area of a webpage. These ads usually contain offensive or discriminatory content.

2. How do hate rollover ads work?

Hate rollover ads use JavaScript or other programming languages to trigger the ad when a user hovers over or clicks on a designated area of a webpage. This can be a link, image, or other interactive element.

3. Why are hate rollover ads controversial?

Hate rollover ads are controversial because they often contain offensive or discriminatory content, which can be harmful or triggering for some individuals. They also disrupt the user experience and can be difficult to close or exit.

4. Are hate rollover ads legal?

It depends on the specific content of the ad and the laws in the country where it is being displayed. Some hate rollover ads may violate laws against hate speech or discrimination, while others may be considered legal but unethical.

5. How can I avoid hate rollover ads?

Unfortunately, it is difficult to completely avoid hate rollover ads as they are often displayed on popular websites and social media platforms. However, you can install ad-blocking software or browser extensions to help minimize the chances of encountering them.