Has it been proven that all rational numbers repeat ....

In summary, in every radixial representation, except for cases where the numerator is a factor of some natural-number power of the radix, there will be a recurring remainder when dividing by a coprime integer in the given base. This means that all digits in the resulting number will also recur infinitely.
swampwiz
in every radixial representation, except of course for those cases in which the numerator is a factor of some natural-number power of the radix?

For the radixial system we know (i.e., because we are bilateral and have arms that have 5 fingers), this would mean that any possible natural number that does not have 2 or 5 as factor (which if it did have such a factor would mean that it is a factor of some number 10n) must be a factor of some number 9999 ..., and of course mean something similar for a radixial number of any radix?

(I am probably using some improper terminology, including the term radixial, but I think folks understand what I mean here - i.e., as a generic term for a number that is in decimal, hexadecimal, binary, etc.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
in every radixial representation, except of course for those cases in which the numerator is a factor of some natural-number power of the radix?

For the radixial system we know (i.e., because we are bilateral and have arms that have 5 fingers), this would mean that any possible natural number that does not have 2 or 5 as factor (which if it did have such a factor would mean that it is a factor of some number 10n) must be a factor of some number 9999 ..., and of course mean something similar for a radixial number of any radix?

(I am probably using some improper terminology, including the term radixial, but I think folks understand what I mean here - i.e., as a generic term for a number that is in decimal, hexadecimal, binary, etc.)
In the process of division of one integer m by a coprime integer n, using some base b, at each step there is a remainder less than n. So in n steps or fewer, this remainder must recur. All of the resulting digits will therefore recur from that point, ad infinitum.

Related to Has it been proven that all rational numbers repeat ....

1. Has it been proven that all rational numbers repeat?

Yes, it has been proven that all rational numbers eventually repeat or terminate. This is known as the fundamental theorem of arithmetic and was first proved by ancient Greek mathematicians.

2. What does it mean for a number to be rational?

A rational number is any number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers (whole numbers) a/b, where b is not equal to 0. This includes fractions and whole numbers.

3. Are there any irrational numbers that do not repeat?

Yes, there are infinitely many irrational numbers that do not repeat. Examples include pi (π) and the square root of 2 (√2). These numbers cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and their decimal representations never end or repeat.

4. How is it proven that all rational numbers repeat?

The proof involves using the concept of prime factorization, which states that every integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. By using this concept, it can be shown that all rational numbers eventually repeat or terminate.

5. Why is it important to know that all rational numbers repeat?

Understanding that all rational numbers repeat or terminate is important for many branches of mathematics, including algebra and number theory. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science and engineering.