Has anyone tested a polarization filter sending through photon by photon?

In summary, using a source of vertically polarized light allows us to accurately test a filter. This is important for ensuring accurate performance. However, the source is not necessary, and other methods may work just as well.
calinvass
To properly test a filter, I understand we can use a source of vertically polarized light. We send photon by photon say 1000 though a filter at, for example, 45 degrees the count the ones on the other side. We should get roughly 500, depending of the quality of the setup.
I was interested in a link to a paper that presents such an experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't think such a paper would make it through the reviewing process. Better check textbooks and such.

Every low-power beam of incoherent light does that experiment indirectly. Nothing would work if the filters wouldn't filter as they should.

It is hard to find publications for something everyone uses. As comparison: It is easy to find papers discussing solar flares, but hard to find papers verifying that the sun does exist.

I like the analogy with the sun.
Thanks.
I can safely exclude this possibility( in the op).

Last edited:
BvU said:
Don't think such a paper would make it through the reviewing process. Better check textbooks and such.

Yes, that's probably true, unless it showed a different result. But, indeed, seems very unlikely. If there was one, it didn't show a different result.

calinvass said:
To properly test a filter, I understand we can use a source of vertically polarized light. We send photon by photon say 1000 though a filter at, for example, 45 degrees the count the ones on the other side. We should get roughly 500, depending of the quality of the setup.
I was interested in a link to a paper that presents such an experiment.

http://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.94.121405

Thanks for the link.
Although they claim the source to be very efficient, I don't think such a source is absolutely necessary. However, it should work better.
A BBO crystal can be used I guess, to confirm every photon similarly to the setup in the Delayed Choice QE, by Kim et. al.

Related to Has anyone tested a polarization filter sending through photon by photon?

1. How does a polarization filter work?

A polarization filter is a type of optical filter that blocks certain polarizations of light while allowing others to pass through. It consists of a material with aligned molecules that only allow light waves with a specific orientation to pass through, while absorbing or reflecting all other orientations.

2. Can a polarization filter send photons through one at a time?

Yes, a polarization filter can be used to send photons through one at a time. By adjusting the orientation of the filter, individual photons can be selectively allowed to pass through while others are blocked.

3. How is a polarization filter different from other types of filters?

A polarization filter is different from other types of filters because it selectively blocks light based on its polarization, rather than its wavelength or intensity. This allows for more precise control over the transmission of light.

4. What is the practical application of using a polarization filter to send photons through?

Polarization filters have many practical applications, including in photography, 3D glasses, and LCD screens. In terms of sending photons through one at a time, it could be used in quantum communication or cryptography to ensure secure transmission of information.

5. Has anyone successfully tested a polarization filter sending photons through one at a time?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments and studies conducted on using polarization filters to send photons through one at a time. This technology has been used in various applications, including in quantum encryption and quantum teleportation.