Has anyone taken the SAT physics subject test?

In summary: That said, I would highly recommend studying for the AP Exam. The questions are almost identical to the MC portion of the AP Physics B exam.
dilan
Has anyone taken the physics test? I have never seen any model questions, but I just need to know whether the IB physics course will be enough to take the SAT physics.

Thanks alot:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I am the perfect man! I'm in the IB and took the Physics Subject Test. The IB is a good base, but it doesn't cover important theory in electricity and circuitry relevant to the Physics Subject Test. I'd suggest you get a https://www.amazon.com/dp/0743279891/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and read thoroughly about the subjects outside of mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

hi,

Thanks alot. In mechanics in the IB they won't do angular momentum , angular acceleration and things. Did you see any questions from those too.

By the way thanks a lot for the links and advice, really appreciate it. :smile:
Did you use the same guides too?

Thanks alot

Yeah I used this guide. But the most important factor in the SAT is you, not your guide, remember that. Also taking practice tests helps. Another recommendation is to consult the Princeton's Review Guide, since it contains problems that Kaplan's do not. You'll need to know the principles of angular momentum conservation for some problems I think. The best you can do is take a lot of practice tests to get familiar with the kind of questions and forge a study guideline.

i took it and got an 800, but it was a few years ago. i forgot the types of questions i was asked. :/

i do recall getting a study book and finding it really useful. don't recall which brand, though.

might've been kaplan.

Peterson

Brad Barker said:
i took it and got an 800, but it was a few years ago. i forgot the types of questions i was asked. :/

i do recall getting a study book and finding it really useful. don't recall which brand, though.

might've been kaplan.

I bought the Peterson's. That's the only book that I was able to find in my country for physics SAT test.

I took it in December and got about 780 without any preparation (I'm in Austria). Just basic mechanics, electrodynmaics and electricity, nothing really difficult

I took AP Physics B, and with some preparation (studying for the AP Exam) I got an 800 on the subject test. Like beta3 said, most of the stuff is fairly simple.

Farzan said:
I took AP Physics B, and with some preparation (studying for the AP Exam) I got an 800 on the subject test. Like beta3 said, most of the stuff is fairly simple.

Same case for me.

The questions are almost identical to the MC portion of the AP Physics B exam.

Related to Has anyone taken the SAT physics subject test?

1. Can anyone take the SAT physics subject test?

Yes, the SAT physics subject test is open to anyone who is planning to apply to colleges or universities that require or recommend it. However, it is typically taken by students who have completed a physics course and have a strong understanding of the subject.

2. What is the format of the SAT physics subject test?

The SAT physics subject test consists of 75 multiple-choice questions, divided into two sections: one with 35 questions on mechanics and one with 40 questions on electricity and magnetism. The test is 60 minutes long and is scored on a scale of 200-800.

3. How should I prepare for the SAT physics subject test?

To prepare for the SAT physics subject test, it is recommended to review the content covered in a typical high school physics course, as well as practice with sample questions and past exams. You can also consider taking a prep course or working with a tutor to help you prepare.

4. How many times can I take the SAT physics subject test?

You can take the SAT physics subject test as many times as you want, but it is not recommended to take it more than 3 times unless you have significantly improved your knowledge and skills in the subject. Some colleges may also require you to submit all of your scores, so it is important to prepare and do your best on your first attempt.

5. Do I need to bring any materials to the SAT physics subject test?

No, all necessary materials, such as a calculator and formula sheet, will be provided by the testing center. However, it is recommended to bring a few sharpened pencils and a valid form of identification, such as a driver's license or school ID.