Has anyone here gone to the AGU Fall Meeting?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall
In summary, the Facebook user is considering going to the AGU Fall Meeting to see if it is worth the expense. They are scared that presenters they are most interested in might prefer to chat with their own kind instead of with the student, but they are still considering going. They are presenting a poster in the deep Earth session.
Simfish
Gold Member
http://www.facebook.com/AGUFallMeeting?sk=wall&filter=2#!/AGUFallMeeting?sk=wall

Just wondering. I'd like to know how it's like and if students are allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi Simfish,

I've been a number of times it is a fun experience and students are always welcome. Are presenting or just thinking of attending? Here is the link to the http://sites.agu.org/fallmeeting/" if you don't already have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh cool - thanks! I'm thinking about attending, but the financial costs will be pretty heavy (even though I know that I can get a student discount).

How much 1v1 interaction is there with professors?

That is entirely up to you. There are frequent opportunities to chat with folk at the poster sessions or at the coffee breaks.

I guess the real question is what are you hoping to get from it all? Then you will know if it is worth the expense. Have you had a chat with your supervisor/mentor about the idea?

I'll discuss it with my supervisors in the upcoming weeks. Although I'm kind of scared that the presenters I'm most interested in might prefer chatting with their own kind rather than with me (since that often does happen during conferences).

There will definitely be an exoplanetary atmosphere session, so there are people there who do the stuff I'm really interested in.

Do you know if the hotel is mandatory though? I can live for free with a friend in the area instead.

Simfish said:
I'll discuss it with my supervisors in the upcoming weeks.

Hope that worked out.

Simfish said:
I'm kind of scared that the presenters I'm most interested in might prefer chatting with their own kind rather than with me

Try the poster sessions: lotsa folks are basically standing there waiting for someone to talk with. You won't get the "science rock stars," but you will get grad students who are very up-to-speed in their (admittedly very specialized fields).

Note that the poster hall is exceptionally (perhaps excessively) huge: you *will* need the schedule and map!

Simfish said:
Do you know if the hotel is mandatory

It is not. My GF and I rented an apt for the week through airbnb.

Oh yeah - thanks for all the advice! Yeah - I think I'll most likely end up going there. Do you know if I could, say, talk with visiting professors during dinner or something? Do you know what most of the professors do during dinner?

Simfish said:
Do you know what most of the professors do during dinner?
Not really: I'm just a grad student. But I've observed, some meet with their grad students, those there with their spouses dine with them, and lots just hit the town. It *is* Frisco, after all :-) and the weather in December is quite temperate.

Oh okay I see. What do the star professors do during the poster sessions?

I'm actually wondering since the only way I can justify the cost to my parents is to show them that it can improve my chances of getting in grad school (and I've already been in contact with the star professors - some of them are already somewhat impressed by me so they might be willing to meet me individually)

Simfish said:
Yeah - I think I'll most likely end up going there.

I'll see you there.

billiards said:
I'll see you there.

Oh cool - what are you presenting there?

I have a poster in the deep Earth session.

This will be my first AGU and only my third conference, ever -- the first two I presented talks! Which if you knew me you would probably be surprised by that fact. I'm pretty shy.

Register before the first of November for cheaper fee.

Yeah I registered a few days ago

Related to Has anyone here gone to the AGU Fall Meeting?

1. What is the AGU Fall Meeting?

The AGU (American Geophysical Union) Fall Meeting is a large scientific conference that brings together researchers, scientists, and students from around the world to present and discuss the latest findings in the fields of Earth and space sciences.

2. Who can attend the AGU Fall Meeting?

The AGU Fall Meeting is open to anyone with an interest in Earth and space sciences. This includes scientists, researchers, students, educators, journalists, and members of the general public.

3. When and where is the AGU Fall Meeting held?

The AGU Fall Meeting is typically held in December and takes place in San Francisco, California. However, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 and 2021 meetings will be held virtually.

4. What types of presentations are given at the AGU Fall Meeting?

The AGU Fall Meeting features a wide range of presentations, including oral and poster presentations, eLightning talks, workshops, and town halls. These presentations cover a variety of topics in the Earth and space sciences, such as climate change, natural hazards, planetary science, and more.

5. How can I participate in the AGU Fall Meeting?

There are several ways to participate in the AGU Fall Meeting. You can attend as an in-person or virtual attendee, present your research through an abstract submission, volunteer as a session convener or moderator, or participate in networking events and career workshops. Registration and submission deadlines can be found on the AGU website.