Hartree Fock: A QM Undergrad Assignment Ahead of its Time?

• Thread starter Kevin McHugh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Hartree-Fock method in undergraduate quantum mechanics courses and how it may vary depending on the specific course or textbook being used. It is mentioned that the method is more commonly found in chemistry-based quantum courses and may not be extensively covered in physics-based courses. The conversation also touches on the different textbooks and resources that do include the Hartree-Fock method, as well as personal experiences with using it in coursework.
Kevin McHugh
When I took undergrad QM, our last assignment was solving the 4 particle system as a function of inter-nuclear separation. I just read Shankar (30 years later) for a review. There was no mention of SCF theory in the book. Was my instructor ahead of the curve?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a book doesn't discuss multi electron atoms it is unlikely it would discuss the Hartree-Fock method..

It's too specialized and too advanced for most undergrad quantum texts, then or now. When I was a student at about that time, it was in my quantum course, but my prof used it in his research.

I see that it is in texts by Messiah (1957), and by Merzbacher (2nd edition, 1970). It is also in more recent texts by Auletta, Fortunato, and Parisi (2009), and by Konishi and Paffuti (2009).

Last edited:
Did you take a Quantum Chemistry class by chance? I did a class on the QM of atomic bonding in my first semester and we followed McQuarrie's Quantum Chemistry 2nd edition. If I remember correctly, that went into detailed SCF calculations for things like the Helium atom and Hydrogen molecule. In fact, one of my projects in that class was to compute the dipole moment of nitrobenzene.
I didn't really see SCF or any kind of numerical multi-atom quantum method in my 3 upper division QM classes (we followed Griffiths for the first one and Shankar for the other two). My guess would be that it's more a Physical chemistry vs Physics thing.

EDIT: I also know that the QM that chemistry majors do focuses a lot more on SCF and approximations to multi atom systems while spending less time on building the fundamentals (like straight perturbation theory, for instance)

Last edited:

Related to Hartree Fock: A QM Undergrad Assignment Ahead of its Time?

1. What is Hartree Fock theory?

Hartree Fock theory is a method in quantum mechanics used to approximate the behavior of a many-electron system. It is based on the assumption that the wavefunction of the system can be represented as a single Slater determinant, which simplifies the calculations. It is commonly used in computational chemistry to study the electronic structure of molecules and atoms.

2. How does Hartree Fock theory work?

Hartree Fock theory works by solving the Schrödinger equation for a many-electron system using a trial wavefunction, which is represented as a single Slater determinant. The trial wavefunction is then iteratively improved until it reaches a minimum energy state, known as the Hartree Fock energy. This method takes into account the repulsion between electrons and the attraction of electrons to the nucleus, resulting in a more accurate representation of the electronic structure of a system.

3. What are the limitations of Hartree Fock theory?

Hartree Fock theory has several limitations. It assumes that the electrons in a system move independently of each other, neglecting their correlation, which can lead to inaccurate results for systems with strong electron correlation. It also does not take into account relativistic effects and can only be applied to closed-shell systems.

4. How is Hartree Fock theory used in computational chemistry?

Hartree Fock theory is commonly used in computational chemistry to study the electronic structure of molecules and atoms. It is used to calculate molecular orbitals, bond energies, and other properties of molecules. It is also used as a starting point for more advanced methods that take into account electron correlation, such as density functional theory.

5. Why is Hartree Fock theory considered ahead of its time?

Hartree Fock theory was developed in the 1920s, when quantum mechanics was still in its early stages. It was one of the first methods to accurately describe the electronic structure of atoms and molecules, and it laid the foundation for more advanced methods that are used today. Its development was ahead of its time in terms of its complexity and accuracy, and it continues to be a fundamental tool in quantum chemistry.