Harold Jacobs Geometry 1st/first edition?

• Geometry
  • Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, It seems that the first edition of Harold Jacobs Geometry is a good book to consider getting instead of the 2nd edition.
christian0710
Hi, Just wondering. Has anyone tried Harold Jacobs Geometry first edition (1974). I've considered getting it instead of 2nd edition, but don't know how big the difference is between them.

From when I was thinking about a geometry book to get, I thought I remembered another member, mathwonk, mentioned that he likes the first edition. Googling "jacobs geometry mathwonk" led right to his quote:

"i looked in vain for the promised review of these books. I am a longtime fan of harold jacobs' book, first edition, which my 8 year old enjoyed, and was saddened by the watering down of the 3rd edition, rendering it less fun and less rigorous at the same time!

that is hard to do, but they not only took out much of the wonderful discussion of proofs and logic, enlivened by hilarious rhymes and puzzles from lewis carroll, but also removed many of the witty cartoons, replacing them with unfunny ones, as if not only logic but also cleverness were evil somehow in learning geometry.
"

No mention of the second edition, but mathwonk is a professional mathematician--I think a geometer even--so if he likes the first edition I'm sure it's good. He seems to prefer the earlier editions of most books, actually.

Likes christian0710
Tobias Funke said:
From when I was thinking about a geometry book to get, I thought I remembered another member, mathwonk, mentioned that he likes the first edition. Googling "jacobs geometry mathwonk" led right to his quote:

"i looked in vain for the promised review of these books. I am a longtime fan of harold jacobs' book, first edition, which my 8 year old enjoyed, and was saddened by the watering down of the 3rd edition, rendering it less fun and less rigorous at the same time!

that is hard to do, but they not only took out much of the wonderful discussion of proofs and logic, enlivened by hilarious rhymes and puzzles from lewis carroll, but also removed many of the witty cartoons, replacing them with unfunny ones, as if not only logic but also cleverness were evil somehow in learning geometry.
"

No mention of the second edition, but mathwonk is a professional mathematician--I think a geometer even--so if he likes the first edition I'm sure it's good. He seems to prefer the earlier editions of most books, actually.

Thank you very much, that gave me the confidence to devote myself to go throught it :)

Related to Harold Jacobs Geometry 1st/first edition?

1. What topics are covered in Harold Jacobs Geometry 1st/first edition?

The first edition of Harold Jacobs Geometry covers topics such as angles, triangles, quadrilaterals, polygons, circles, area, volume, and basic proofs.

2. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better to use in a classroom setting?

This book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It includes clear explanations and examples, making it easy to follow along on your own. However, it can also be used in a classroom with a teacher to guide and facilitate learning.

3. Are there any prerequisites for using Harold Jacobs Geometry 1st/first edition?

The only prerequisite for using this book is a basic understanding of algebra. Some knowledge of geometry may also be helpful, but it is not necessary.

4. Are there any supplemental materials or resources available for this textbook?

Yes, there are supplemental materials and resources available for this textbook, such as a solutions manual, practice problems, and online resources. These can be found on the publisher's website or through other online resources.

5. Are there any major differences between the first and later editions of Harold Jacobs Geometry?

The first edition of Harold Jacobs Geometry is similar to later editions in terms of content and organization. However, the later editions may have updated examples, exercises, and technology integration. It is recommended to use the latest edition for the most updated and comprehensive material.