Harness Heat Energy for Drone Power - How To?

In summary: African villages. However, the efficiency of using heat energy from the sun is limited due to the temperature difference and the weight of heat engines. Solar panels would be a better option, but the challenge of collecting enough energy for the drone remains. Swapping out rechargeable batteries may be a solution for continuous power. In summary, using solar panels as a backup energy source for a drone in African villages may be more feasible than using heat energy due to limitations in efficiency and weight.
FeyStein
Is there a way I could harness heat energy in a drone, if so, how?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi there
Welcome to PF :smile:
FeyStein said:
Is there a way I could harness heat energy in a drone, if so, how?

energy from where and to use it for what ?Dave

@davenn Heat energy from the sun to power the said drone

In order for a heat engine to work, you need a temperature difference. In a drone, you can easily pick up heat, giving you a "warm reservoir". You could try to use the surrounding air as a "cold reservoir", but the thermal resistance between a "heat sink" and air is fairly high (that is why CPU's use a fan).

I am trying to build a drone which could be used in African villages and am looking to find a backup energy, in case the battery fails. Solar seems like the predominant choice, but I feel like heat could work really well too, so I need a way of harnessing it.

Couple of points. The maximum attainable temperature with Solar flux is 120C. If you consider your cold reservoir at 0C, Carnot's efficiency is 30 percent. Practically it would be much lower. Also heat engines are generally not that light weight. You could better consider Photovoltaic panel instead.

Likes davenn
FeyStein said:
I am trying to build a drone which could be used in African villages and am looking to find a backup energy, in case the battery fails. Solar seems like the predominant choice, but I feel like heat could work really well too, so I need a way of harnessing it.

OK

Anand Sivaram said:
Couple of points. The maximum attainable temperature with Solar flux is 120C. If you consider your cold reservoir at 0C, Carnot's efficiency is 30 percent. Practically it would be much lower. Also heat engines are generally not that light weight. You could better consider Photovoltaic panel instead.

Agreed
You would never get enough useful energy
Solar cells would be much better, but you will still have a problem of collecting enough energy to keep a drone flying
The best you could do would be to use solar power to recharge batteries whilst they are not in use and then swap
them with the discharged ones from the droneDave

Related to Harness Heat Energy for Drone Power - How To?

1. How does harnessing heat energy power a drone?

Harnessing heat energy involves converting thermal energy into mechanical energy, which can then be used to power a drone. This is typically done using a thermoelectric generator, which utilizes the Seebeck effect to convert the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the generator into electricity.

2. What are the benefits of using heat energy to power drones?

One of the main benefits of using heat energy for drone power is its renewable and sustainable nature. As long as there is a temperature difference, heat energy can be harnessed to power the drone. Additionally, it eliminates the need for traditional fuel sources, making it more environmentally friendly and cost-effective.

3. Are there any limitations to using heat energy for drone power?

Yes, there are some limitations to consider when using heat energy to power a drone. The efficiency of the thermoelectric generator is affected by the temperature difference, so if the temperature difference is too small, the power output may not be sufficient to fully power the drone. Additionally, extreme temperatures can also affect the performance of the generator.

4. How can I incorporate heat energy into my existing drone?

If you already have a drone, you can still harness heat energy to power it by adding a thermoelectric generator to the existing power system. This can be done by connecting the generator to the battery or motor of the drone, and then using the temperature difference between the generator's hot and cold sides to generate electricity.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using heat energy to power a drone?

As with any power source, there are some safety considerations to keep in mind when using heat energy for drone power. It is important to properly insulate and protect the thermoelectric generator to prevent any potential burns or electrical hazards. Additionally, proper ventilation and cooling systems may be necessary to prevent overheating of the generator.