Harmonics on a Stretched Spring

In summary, the given string has a mass density of μ = 4.10×10-3 kg/m and a tension of F = 327 N. Its resonance frequencies are 742.0 Hz and 1113.0 Hz. To find the fundamental frequency, we can use the equation FF = 1/2L * sqrt(T/μ), where L is the length of the string. To find the length, we can use the equation L = nλ/2, where n is the harmonic and λ is the wavelength. We can also use the formula λf = α, where α is the speed of the wave in the string. Solving for n in the equation nλ1 = (n+1
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

A. A string with a mass density μ = 4.10×10-3 kg/m is under a tension of F = 327 N and is fixed at both ends. One of its resonance frequencies is 742.0 Hz. The next higher resonance frequency is 1113.0 Hz. What is the fundamental frequency of this string?

B. Which harmonic does the resonance frequency at 742.0 Hz correspond to? (i.e. what is n at this frequency?)C. What is the length of the string?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for A. I wanted to use the equation...
FF = 1/2L * sqrt(T/μ)
FF - fundamental frequency
Where...
μ = 4.10×10-3 kg/m
T = 327N
but I don't know what L is?

Physics news on Phys.org
The standing waves in a string forms with integral multiples of half of the wavelength of the generated wave in the string

[tex]L = n\frac{\lambda}{2}[/tex]

and for the speed in the wave we can substitute

[tex]\lambda f = \alpha[/tex]

where

[tex]\alpha = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

giving

[tex] \lambda = \frac{1}{f} \alpha[/tex]

lets say that the one standing wave forms such that

[tex] L = \frac{n\lambda _1}{2}[/tex]

and the next harmonic such that

[tex] L = \frac{(n + 1) \lambda _2}{2}[/tex]

equating gives

[tex]\frac{n\lambda _1}{2} = \frac{(n + 1) \lambda _2}{2}[/tex]

therefore

[tex]n\lambda _1 = (n + 1) \lambda _2[/tex]

substituting now for [tex]\lambda[/tex] gives

[tex] \frac{n \alpha}{f_1} = \frac{(n+1) \alpha}{f_2} [/tex]

Last edited:
Wow...okay so is that all just for the first part of the question??

Ok I got the answer for A and B (A was 371Hz and B was 2)...but I can not figure out how to determine the length of the string. I thought the equation to use was...
L = V/2f
but I don't have the velocity...
Can someone please help me with this.
Thank you

Related to Harmonics on a Stretched Spring

1. What are harmonics on a stretched spring?

Harmonics on a stretched spring refer to the patterns of vibration that occur when a spring is stretched and then released. These vibrations are caused by the energy stored in the spring as it is deformed from its resting position.

2. How do harmonics on a stretched spring occur?

Harmonics on a stretched spring occur when the spring is pulled or compressed and then released. This creates a back-and-forth motion of the spring, causing it to vibrate at a specific frequency.

3. What factors affect the harmonics on a stretched spring?

The frequency and amplitude of the vibrations on a stretched spring are affected by the spring's stiffness, mass, and length. A stiffer and heavier spring will vibrate at a lower frequency, while a longer spring will have a higher frequency.

4. How can harmonics on a stretched spring be controlled?

The harmonics on a stretched spring can be controlled by changing the parameters of the spring, such as its stiffness, mass, and length. Additionally, adding weights or attachments to the spring can also alter its vibrations and create different harmonics.

5. What are the practical applications of studying harmonics on a stretched spring?

Understanding harmonics on a stretched spring has many practical applications, such as in musical instruments, shock absorbers, and suspension systems. It is also important in fields like engineering and physics for analyzing and designing structures that involve springs.