Harmonic oscillator shifted origin

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the simple harmonic oscillator with a shifted origin and the possibility of solving the differential equation directly to get a solution for x. Two methods are suggested - transforming the equation or introducing a new variable v and using Newton's trick. The latter method is also used to prove the work energy theorem. The conversation also mentions the quantum mechanical counterpart of the problem and its applications in the study of coherent states of the oscillator.
Runei
Hello,

I'm was going through the simple harmonic oscillator, just as a recap, and I stumbled upon something which is causing me wonder.

I'm solving the SHO with a shifted origin, and so I have the differential equation

[tex]F=-k(x-x_0)[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{x}=-\frac{k}{m}x+\frac{kx_0}{m}[/tex]

Now, I get that I can solve the physics problem by simply setting X = x-x_0 and then just adding the normal solution to x_0 to get the position of the particle, however, I was wondering, is it possible to solve the differential equation as it stands above and directly get a solution for x?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can make the problem slightly less trivial by not writing the force as F = - k9X-X_0), but as F = - kx + mg. Now the force doesn't look as if you have simply chosen a bad coordinate, but is the result of the action of two forces. The method of solution is now slightly less obvious, but identical to what you have done: transform the equation by getting rid of the constant term: put X = x - mg/k. This changes the equation to the familiar SHO equation. Mathematicians always attempt to solve the problem that they solved yesterday by converting today's problem into yesterday's.

A different method is as follows.Introduce a new variable [itex] v = \dot{x} [/itex] and then use Newton's trick to change the independent variable from t to x:

[itex] \displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx} \ \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx} \ v = \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{1}{2}\ v^2 \right) [/itex]

Your equation the becomes
[itex] \displaystyle m \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{1}{2}\ v^2 \right) = -kx + mg [/itex]
This equation can then be integrated by separation of variables, giving v implicitly as a function of x.

You then need to solve for v in terms of x and perform a second integration, noting that v = dx/dt. This second equation is also separable. (Of course, you may have used this method already to solve the original SHM equation, in which case I am carrying coals to Newcastle. But if you used the method of trial solution to solve the SHO equation, this method will be new to you.)

Incidentally, this is the method by which the work energy theorem is proved. So, if you use the conservation of energy principle to get v as a function of x, you are effectively bypassing the first of the above two integrations. The energy relation is called, accordingly, a "first integral" of Newton II.

While classically this problem is almost trivial, its quantum mechanical counterpart is not so, and it introduces some interesting non-trivial results. For example, the "displaced SHO" is one way of introducing the idea of coherent states of the oscillator. See Haken's book on quantum field theory of solids, chapter 1, for details.

Last edited:
Likes Runei

Related to Harmonic oscillator shifted origin

1. What is a harmonic oscillator shifted origin?

A harmonic oscillator shifted origin is a type of simple harmonic motion where the equilibrium position is not at the origin, but rather at a shifted position. This means that the object undergoing the motion does not start at rest at the origin, but rather at a different position along the oscillation path.

2. What causes a harmonic oscillator to shift its origin?

A harmonic oscillator can shift its origin due to external forces acting on the system. For example, if a spring attached to a mass is pulled down and released, the origin of the oscillator will be shifted downwards due to the force of gravity acting on the mass. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also cause the origin to shift.

3. How does a shifted origin affect the motion of a harmonic oscillator?

A shifted origin does not affect the frequency or period of a harmonic oscillator, but it does affect the amplitude and phase of the motion. The amplitude will be measured from the new equilibrium position, and the phase will be shifted accordingly. The overall shape and behavior of the motion will remain the same.

4. Can a harmonic oscillator have multiple shifted origins?

Yes, a harmonic oscillator can have multiple shifted origins if it is subjected to multiple external forces. In this case, the overall motion will be a combination of the individual shifted oscillations. The resulting motion will depend on the amplitudes and phases of each individual oscillator.

5. How is the energy of a harmonic oscillator affected by a shifted origin?

A shifted origin does not affect the total energy of a harmonic oscillator, as energy is conserved in a closed system. However, the potential and kinetic energies will be shifted accordingly, and the total energy will be measured from the new equilibrium position. In some cases, a shifted origin may lead to a change in the maximum potential or kinetic energy of the oscillator.