Harmonic oscillator in 2D - applying operators

In summary, the homework equations state that: -The attempt at a solution uses the harmonic oscillator eigenstates to simplify a problem -The final expression, <1,0|1,0> has no more operators, and can be obtained by applying operators successively
Dassinia
Hello, I juste don't know how this was done it is on the solutionnary of a very long exercise and i am not getting this calculation

1. Homework Statement

<1,0| ax+ay++ax+ay+axay++axay|0,1> = <1,0|1,0>

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
We have that |0,1> = ay+ |0,0>
I don't understand how they did the simplification to get to the <1,0|1,0>, i am missing something
Thanks [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you figure out what
(ax+ay++ax+ay+axay++axay)|0,1>
is?

(Hint: try it term by term.)

ax+ay+|1,0 > =ax+ay+ay+|0,0 >
ax+ay|1,0 >=ax+ayay+|0,0 >
axay+|1,0 >=axay+ay+|0,0 >
axay|1,0 >=axayay+|0,0 >

But then I don't know how to simplify all that

You're going backwards: reduce the number of operators. The same way that ay+|0,0 > = |0,1 >, what is ay|1,0 > ?

I am so confused, are you saying that I should not replace |1,0> by ay+| 0 0 > ?
ay|1,0 > = 0 ?

Dassinia said:
I am so confused, are you saying that I should not replace |1,0> by ay+| 0 0 > ?
Indeed. The final expression, <1,0|1,0> has no more operators. What you need to do is to apply the operators successively to get the resulting state vector (ket).

Dassinia said:
ay|1,0 > = |1,0> ?
That's not correct. You need to revise creation and annihilation operators.

I edited my answer
ay|1,0> = sqrt(0)|1, 0-1> = 0

Dassinia said:
I edited my answer
ay|1,0> = sqrt(0)|1, 0-1> = 0
I don't like the intermediate step, as there is no such thing as |1, -1>. The result is simply ay|1,0> = 0.

So now go back to my question in post #2.

ax+ay++ax+ay+axay++axay|0,1> = ax+ay++axay+|1,0>
ax+ay+|1,0>=|2,1>
axay+|1,0>=|0,1>

There is a mistake somewhere it is
ax+ay+|0,1>=|1,2>
axay+|0,1>=0

So I get to |1,2> and not |1,0>

Oh my god I have to see this again I applied ay to |1,0> and not |0,1> so i canceled them
I am left with

<1,0|1,2>=0 but why ? and <1,0|1,0>=1

Dassinia said:
I am left with
<1,0|1,2>=0 but why ?
Because eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator are orthogonal. It is the y part, <0|2>, that is zero.

Dassinia said:
and <1,0|1,0>=1
For normalized states, yes.

Thank you very much !

Related to Harmonic oscillator in 2D - applying operators

1. What is a harmonic oscillator in 2D?

A harmonic oscillator in 2D is a physical system that follows the laws of harmonic motion in two dimensions. It consists of a mass attached to a spring that can move in two perpendicular directions.

2. What are the operators used to describe a harmonic oscillator in 2D?

The operators used to describe a harmonic oscillator in 2D are the position operator, momentum operator, and Hamiltonian operator. These operators help to calculate the position, momentum, and energy of the system at any given time.

3. How are the operators applied to a harmonic oscillator in 2D?

The position operator is applied by multiplying the position of the mass by the operator. The momentum operator is applied by multiplying the momentum of the mass by the operator. The Hamiltonian operator is applied by multiplying the potential energy by the operator and adding it to the kinetic energy multiplied by the operator.

4. What is the significance of applying operators to a harmonic oscillator in 2D?

Applying operators to a harmonic oscillator in 2D allows us to describe and analyze the behavior of the system. By using these operators, we can calculate important properties of the system such as its position, velocity, and energy at any given time.

5. How does the application of operators affect the behavior of a harmonic oscillator in 2D?

The application of operators affects the behavior of a harmonic oscillator in 2D by determining the values of its position, momentum, and energy over time. These values can help us understand the motion of the system and make predictions about its future behavior.