Harmonic Oscillator- Energy levels

If you do, then you can use the equation E=hc/λ to find the wavelength for each energy level. Then, you can use the equation for wavenumber, which is the inverse of wavelength, to find the wavenumber for each energy level. So, in summary, to find the wavenumber for infrared absorption due to fundamental vibration and 2nd overtone, you need to calculate the energies for each level and then use the equations for energy and wavenumber to find the values.
quantumech

Homework Statement

Predict the wavenumber (cm-1) position of infrared absorption due to fundamental vibration from v=0 to v=1 and 2nd overtone from v=0 to v=3. For a harmonic occilator whose frequency=8.00x1013 s.

Homework Equations

Energy expression for harmonic oscilator:

Ev= (v+1/2)hv v=1, 2, 3...

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not at all sure of my answers, but this is what I did:

Fundamental Vibration:

E0= (0+1/2)*6.626x10-34*8.00x1013 s
= 2.504 x 10-20

E1= (1+1/2)*6.626x10-34*8.00x1013 s
= 7.9512 x 10-20

E3= (3+1/2)*6.626x10-34*8.00x1013 s
= 1.85528 x 10-19

Then I found difference between energies:
E1-E0=5.4472*10-20 and

E3-E0=1.60488*10-19

I have no clue how to find the infrared absorption from this. Please help me ASAP. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the equation for energy of a photon of a particular wavelength. Your book or professor must have given you this, in order to be asking this question.

Another question, do you know what the units are for the energies you calculated?

Related to Harmonic Oscillator- Energy levels

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that has a stable equilibrium position and exhibits periodic motion around that position. It is characterized by the restoring force being directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

What are energy levels in a harmonic oscillator?

Energy levels in a harmonic oscillator refer to the different allowed energy states that the system can have. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on specific discrete values, and are determined by the frequency of the oscillator and Planck's constant.

How are energy levels in a harmonic oscillator calculated?

The energy levels in a harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the formula En = (n + 1/2)hν, where En is the energy of the nth level, h is Planck's constant, and ν is the frequency of the oscillator.

What is the significance of energy levels in a harmonic oscillator?

The energy levels in a harmonic oscillator play a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of the system. The spacing between energy levels determines the frequency of the oscillator's motion, and the allowed energy states dictate the behavior of the system in different situations.

How do energy levels in a harmonic oscillator affect absorption and emission of radiation?

The energy levels in a harmonic oscillator determine the energy difference between allowed states. When an external radiation with the same energy as this difference is incident on the oscillator, it can be absorbed, causing the system to jump to a higher energy level. Similarly, when the oscillator transitions from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits radiation with the same energy as the energy difference between the two levels.