Harmonic Oscillator Design - controls approach

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a harmonic oscillator and the necessary components for its operation. The speaker mentions the use of a 2nd order oscillator equation and the need for two poles on the imaginary axis. They also mention the use of two RC networks and positive feedback to achieve the desired frequency and amplitude. The main question is whether the 2nd order equation is the best approach for designing a harmonic oscillator. The expert summarizer clarifies that a 2nd order equation is indeed necessary and suggests using two integrators with negative feedback for the simplest design.
DragonPetter
I have a question regarding an oscillator design from a controls perspective.

An ideal harmonic oscillator has just 2 poles, both on the imaginary axis, and their location along the axis determines the frequency of oscillation as well as the amplitude.

Now, please correct me if this is wrong, but there will never be a true physical circuit that can have this root-locus plot, right?

That leads me to think I should design the oscillator with the 2nd order oscillator equation, which is basically a bandpass filter. I can do this with two RC networks, a LPF and a HPF in series, but then I get a zero.

If I increase the gain enough and have a high enough Q factor, and apply positive feedback to push the 2nd order equations poles towards the imaginary axis, will I get the desired harmonic oscillation of just the peak frequency? Will it be distorted since other frequencies won't be entirely attenuated?

My main question is: is the 2nd order equation the way to go in designing a harmonic oscillator? I am using just 2 discrete transistors for gain and one to invert the phase again to get positive feedback, so it looks much like an astable multivibrator except with a different RC network.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are partially right, a harmonic oscillator requires a 2nd order equation. I don't see why you think HPF and LPF.

The simplest harmonic oscillator is just two integrators in series with a negative feedback around the two.

##G=1/s^2##
##H=1##
##G/(1+GH)## is the transfer function.

Related to Harmonic Oscillator Design - controls approach

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion, characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. Examples of harmonic oscillators include a mass on a spring, a pendulum, and an LC circuit.

2. What is the purpose of harmonic oscillator design in control systems?

The purpose of harmonic oscillator design in control systems is to create a stable and predictable oscillatory response to control inputs. It is commonly used in systems to regulate and maintain a desired state or trajectory, such as in temperature control or vibration control.

3. What is the controls approach to harmonic oscillator design?

The controls approach to harmonic oscillator design involves the use of control theory and techniques to design a control system that can accurately and efficiently regulate the oscillations of the oscillator. This approach takes into account factors such as system dynamics, stability, and performance requirements to determine the optimal control strategy.

4. What are some common control methods used in harmonic oscillator design?

Some common control methods used in harmonic oscillator design include feedback control, feedforward control, and proportional-integral-derivative (PID) control. These methods use different control algorithms and techniques to adjust the input to the oscillator and achieve the desired response.

5. How is stability ensured in harmonic oscillator design?

Stability in harmonic oscillator design is ensured by analyzing the system's dynamics and using control techniques to maintain stability. This can include designing a controller with appropriate gain values, implementing feedback loops, and considering the effects of disturbances and noise. Additionally, proper tuning and testing of the control system can help ensure stability in the oscillator's response.