Harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to find the wavefunction of a coherent state of a harmonic oscillator using the eigenfunction equation with the lowering operator. However, this method does not work as the resulting state does not satisfy the Schrodinger equation and cannot be normalized. The author also discusses a manuscript they found on the internet, but it is not clear if it provides a solution to the problem. They also ask for clarification on why the method does not work. A link is provided to a website that discusses the issue further.
quantum539
Hi, I am trying to find the wavefunction of a coherent state of the harmonic oscillator ( potential mw2x2/2 ) with eigenvalue of the lowering operator: b.

I know you can do this is many ways, but I cannot figure out why this particular method does not work.

It can be shown (and you can find this easily on the internet) that the eigenvalue b evolves as:

b(t)=b0e-iwtWhat I did was find the coherent state wavefunction u(x,t) by using the eigenfunction equation with the lowering operator a:

a[u(x,t)]=b*u(x,t)

with a=(mwx+(h-bar)*d/dx)/sqrt(2mw(h-bar))

that gives

u(x,t)=const*e-(1/l2)*(x-l*b)2

where l=sqrt(2(h-bar)/mw)
now, when I put in the time evolution of b I get:

u(x,t)=const*e-(1/l2)*(x-lb0e-iwt)2

(I plugged in b(t) from before in for b)
This state does not satisfy the schodinger equation, for one thing it cannot be normalized because the integral over all x of the norm squared of the wavefunction varies in time.

This confuses me because b(t) comes from treating the coherent state as a superposition of harmonic oscillator energy eigenstates, which come from the schrodinger equation. Since the schrodinger equation conserves the integral over all x of probability density, why do I get a state which does not do so from harmonic oscilator states (and thus, by extension, the schrodinger equation)?

Thanks so much in advance, I have done this over several times over the last day and cannot find out anything I did wrong nor a solution online.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks,

But I was wondering if someone knows why the method I described does not work.

quantum539 said:
Thanks,

But I was wondering if someone knows why the method I described does not work.

You said in your original post:

quantum539 said:
It can be shown (and you can find this easily on the internet) that the eigenvalue b evolves as:
[itex]b(t)=b_0e^{-iwt}[/itex]

Could you give a URL to where this is shown? It doesn't make sense to me.

This relation is true in the Heisenberg picture of time evolution, and one must not mix these pictures as in the original posting. I have a treatment of the problem in my QM lecture notes, but only in German, but there are many formulae; so perhaps it's possible to understand the calculations:

http://theory.gsi.de/~vanhees/faq/quant/node51.html

Related to Harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction

What is a harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction?

A harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction is a quantum mechanical wavefunction that describes the state of a harmonic oscillator system with a specific energy and phase. It is a superposition of all possible energy eigenstates of the system, with a specific probability amplitude for each state.

How is a harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction different from other wavefunctions?

A harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction is unique in that it has a minimum uncertainty in both position and momentum, making it a "coherent" state. This means that the system is in a well-defined state and behaves in a predictable manner.

What are the applications of harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunctions?

Harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunctions have various applications in quantum mechanics, including in the description of laser light, quantum optics, and quantum computing. They also have applications in other fields such as statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics.

How is a harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction calculated?

A harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction is calculated using the ladder operator method, which involves raising and lowering operators that change the energy level of the system. The wavefunction can also be expressed as a Gaussian function in terms of the position and momentum operators.

What are the physical properties of a system described by a harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction?

A system described by a harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction has a well-defined energy and phase, as well as a minimum uncertainty in both position and momentum. It also exhibits oscillatory behavior, with a specific frequency determined by the energy of the system.