Harmonic oscillation displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses how to accurately describe the displacement of a ball oscillating at 5.5 Hz after being pulled down 2.5cm from equilibrium and released from rest. It is determined that both sine and cosine functions can be used, but a phase shift may be necessary depending on the chosen coordinate system. Ultimately, it is recommended to sketch out the functions to choose the most suitable one. The final solution presented is displacement from equilibrium = -2.5cos(2π5.5t).
Vitani11

Homework Statement

...when she pulls the ball down 2.5cm from equilibrium and releases it from rest, it oscillates at 5.5 Hz. What is displacement y as functions of t?

Homework Equations

Y= Acos(omega t+phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm almost certain I should instead be using sin to characterize the displacement or add in a phase angle of pi to the cosine function since its released from bottom. Is this a correct assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use either sin or cos to describe harmonic motion. Whether or not you need to incorporate a phase constant depends upon your choice of coordinate system (is the down direction considered positive or negative?) and where you want to place your initial position. As long as the resulting math describes your scenario as interpreted though your choices, everything's good.

Likes Vitani11
Yes I know this but I don't have any confidence in my ability to do physics so I need a clarification that this is not just cosine without a phase change, but sine or cosine with a phase change

Vitani11 said:
Yes I know this but I don't have any confidence in my ability to do physics so I need a clarification that this is not just cosine without a phase change, but sine or cosine with a phase change
You should be able to try them all and check them by plugging in a few values to see if what you've got matches your scenario. That's how you make the knowledge stick.

Ultimately whether or not you'll need a phase constant depends on how you choose your coordinate system. In this case if you chose "down" to be positive then a simple cosine will do, or a sine with a phase shift of ##\pi/2##. If "up" is positive (so that the initial displacement is taken to be negative) then a cosine or a sine, both with phase shifts, will work.

Sketch out a few wavelengths of a sine and a cosine function. Mark the major angles along the axis. You should be able to see how sine and cosine are the same basic form with just a phase shift to distinguish them. You can use a sketch like this to choose a function and phase shift to suit your purpose.

Likes Vitani11
Vitani11 said:

Homework Statement

...when she pulls the ball down 2.5cm from equilibrium and releases it from rest, it oscillates at 5.5 Hz. What is displacement y as functions of t?

Homework Equations

Y= Acos(omega t+phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm almost certain I should instead be using sin to characterize the displacement or add in a phase angle of pi to the cosine function since its released from bottom. Is this a correct assumption?
No, because at t=0 your y displacement value is 2.5cm. If you use the sine (without a pi/2 addition in the argument) you'd get y=0 at t=0 which is wrong.

Likes Vitani11
Agreed I finished this yesterday and turned it in - thank you though.

So do you want to keep us in suspense until you get it back marked, or reassure us that you submitted 'displacement from equilibrium ##= -2.5 \cos (2\pi\;5.5\; t)## ' ?
(Oops...)

Lol I did exactly that except I defined down to be positive so it was −2.5cos(2π5.5t) without the sign.

I won't have it back marked for a week

Related to Harmonic oscillation displacement

What is harmonic oscillation displacement?

Harmonic oscillation displacement refers to the back and forth movement of an object around its equilibrium position, caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the object's displacement from equilibrium.

What factors affect the displacement of a harmonic oscillator?

The displacement of a harmonic oscillator is affected by the amplitude (maximum displacement), frequency (number of oscillations per unit time), and phase (position within one cycle) of the oscillation.

How is harmonic oscillation displacement represented mathematically?

Harmonic oscillation displacement can be represented by a sinusoidal function, such as y = A sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase.

What is the relationship between harmonic oscillation displacement and potential energy?

Harmonic oscillation displacement and potential energy have a direct relationship. As the displacement of a harmonic oscillator increases, so does its potential energy. When the object is at its equilibrium position, the potential energy is at its minimum, and when it reaches its maximum displacement, the potential energy is at its maximum.

How does damping affect harmonic oscillation displacement?

Damping, which is the gradual loss of energy in a system, can affect the amplitude and frequency of harmonic oscillation displacement. In an underdamped system, the oscillations gradually decrease in amplitude over time. In an overdamped system, the oscillations stop completely. In a critically damped system, the oscillations reach equilibrium without any overshoot or oscillation.