Harmonic Motion with External Force: Impact on Period?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle with mass m undergoing harmonic motion with a period T. An external force F proportional to velocity v is introduced, and the particle continues to oscillate. The problem is to determine how the period changes. The solution involves creating a differential equation for the motion and solving for the period. The solution is found to be a linear combination of exponential functions, which implies the underdamped solution. A link is provided for further information on solving such problems.
physics user1

Homework Statement

A particle with mass m is undergoing with harmonic motion with a period T, we introduce an external force F proportional to velocity v so that F= -bv with b a constant and we assume that the particle continues to oscillate how does the period change?

Homework Equations

F= m a ; v'= a; x'= v; x''= a[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So my idea was creating the differential equation of the motion:

Before the external force to be applied :

m x" + k x= 0 (there, must be a force F=-kx even if the problem doesn't mention it so that the harmonic motion exists before the application of the external force) so T= 2 pi (m/k)^0.5[/B]

After the force:

mx'' + b x' + k x= 0 , the problem is that this equation has not as a solution a function like this x (t)= A cos ( wt + phi) but a linear combination of exponential function so I can't figure out what the period is... (to solve the equation is used wolfram alpha and it doesn't give me a sinusoidal function)

Please help me this problem is freaking me out

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an elementary problem in differential equation, called damped harmonic motion. See this link about a way to solve such kind of problem. Note that since the problem assumes the particle to continue undergoing oscillation, this problem implies the underdamped solution.

Likes physics user1
blue_leaf77 said:
It's an elementary problem in differential equation, called damped harmonic motion. See this link about a way to solve such kind of problem. Note that since the problem assumes the particle to continue undergoing oscillation, this problem implies the underdamped solution.

The relation in the link doesn't give me info about the new period of oscillation, because the solution is not a sinusoidal function but expo, how do I get it?

Ok, i found it, thanks

Related to Harmonic Motion with External Force: Impact on Period?

What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion refers to the repetitive back and forth motion of an object around a central equilibrium point, caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

What is the equation for harmonic motion?

The equation for harmonic motion is x = A * cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What is the restoring force in harmonic motion?

The restoring force in harmonic motion is the force that brings the object back to the equilibrium position. It is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is directed towards the equilibrium point.

What affects the period of harmonic motion?

The period of harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the restoring force, and the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass or spring constant will result in a longer period, while a larger amplitude will result in a shorter period.

What are some real-life examples of harmonic motion?

Some real-life examples of harmonic motion include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a mass on a spring oscillating, and the vibrations of a guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a swing, the motion of a mass on a vibrating drum, and the motion of a tuning fork.