Harmonic Motion with Electricity

In summary, harmonic motion with electricity refers to the oscillating movement of charged particles in the presence of an electric field. This phenomenon is closely related to electricity and can be measured using instruments like an oscilloscope or voltmeter. The factors that affect harmonic motion with electricity include the strength of the electric field, particle characteristics, and initial conditions. This concept has many real-world applications, such as in electric circuits, radio frequency technology, and musical instruments.
nothilaryy

Homework Statement

A uniform circular ring of charge Q= 4.50 microCoulombs and radius R= 1.30 cm is located in the x-y plane, centered on the origin. A point z is located along the Z axis. If z << R then E is proportional to z. (You should verify this by taking the limit of your expression for E for z << R.) If you place an electron on the z-axis near the origin it experiences a force Fz= -kz, where k is a constant. Obtain a numerical value for k. [I did this and obtained the value 2.946×10-9 N/m which I know is correct] What is the frequency of the small axial oscillations that the electron will undergo if it is released along the z-axis near the origin?

Homework Equations

So far I have looked at:

[tex]
\vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}
[/tex]

KE= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so what haven't I thought about so far?
My first approach was to use Fnet= ma and then substitute dz^2/d^2t for a and try separation of variables and integrate it, but I didn't really know how to make that work for a position dependent force as opposed to a velocity dependent force and I really couldn't get anything useful out of that. Then I thought about trying Potential energy and setting the potential energy at that point to the kinetic energy of the point in the middle of the ring of charge. Then I would have a velocity of that point I couldn't figure out if that would tell me anything, and I don't even think I'm supposed to use potential energy because we haven't even gotten close to learning that chapter yet. I figure I was closer with the Fnet=ma approach because the problem had us find the force and there should be a reason for that, right? So maybe I'm just messing up the calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi nothilaryy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
nothilaryy said:
… If you place an electron on the z-axis near the origin it experiences a force Fz= -kz, where k is a constant. Obtain a numerical value for k. [I did this and obtained the value 2.946×10-9 N/m which I know is correct] What is the frequency of the small axial oscillations that the electron will undergo if it is released along the z-axis near the origin?

My first approach was to use Fnet= ma and then substitute dz^2/d^2t for a and try separation of variables and integrate it, but I didn't really know how to make that work for a position dependent force as opposed to a velocity dependent force and I really couldn't get anything useful out of that …

(I'm sorry nobody replied earlier: I hope you've done it by now, but if not …)

Yes, it's z'' = -(k/m)z, which is a standard simple harmonic motion equation with general solution z = Acosωt + Bsinωt, where ω = … ? (work it out by differentiating twice! :wink:)

(if you want to solve it properly, use the trick of putting v = dz/dt, so the chain rule gives you dv/dt = v dv/dz)

Your approach of using Fnet= ma and substituting dz^2/d^2t for a is the correct approach in solving this problem. This is known as the equation of motion for simple harmonic motion, which is applicable in this situation since the force acting on the electron is proportional to its displacement from the origin.

To solve for the frequency of the small axial oscillations, we can use the equation for the period of simple harmonic motion, T= 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the electron and k is the spring constant (in this case, the constant of proportionality between the force and displacement).

Since k= 2.946×10^-9 N/m, we can use the mass of an electron (9.11×10^-31 kg) to solve for the period, which is equal to the inverse of the frequency. Thus, the frequency of the small axial oscillations is approximately 6.88×10^12 Hz.

It is also worth mentioning that your approach of using potential energy would also work, as the potential energy at the point where the force is acting is equal to the kinetic energy of the electron at that point. However, since you have not learned about potential energy yet, it is not necessary to use this approach.

Related to Harmonic Motion with Electricity

What is harmonic motion with electricity?

Harmonic motion with electricity refers to the movement of charged particles in an oscillating or vibrating pattern due to the presence of an electric field.

What is the relationship between harmonic motion and electricity?

Harmonic motion and electricity are closely related as the movement of charged particles in an electric field often follows a harmonic or sinusoidal pattern.

How is harmonic motion with electricity measured?

Harmonic motion with electricity can be measured by using instruments such as an oscilloscope or a voltmeter to track the changes in voltage or current over time.

What factors affect harmonic motion with electricity?

The factors that affect harmonic motion with electricity include the strength of the electric field, the charge and mass of the particles, and the initial conditions of the system.

What are some real-world applications of harmonic motion with electricity?

Harmonic motion with electricity has many practical applications, such as in electric circuits, radio frequency technology, and the operation of musical instruments.