Harmonic Motion and Springs Question

In summary: This is a summary of the following conversation. In summary, the person is trying to derive the formula for the period T as a function of the mass of the object. They use basic trigonometry to get y = A sin \alpha and then use unit: rad = rad/s x s with the approximation that angular velocity is constant. They were just wondering why they used psi instead of omega. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not written that way, usually.
Mattara
I'm trying to derive the formula for the period T as a function of the mass of the object. Here is my attempt. Note that I cheated and passed the section I had trouble with, without fully understanding it.

http://www.filehive.com/files/0722/image.jpg

Much of this is quite straightforward for me.

[tex]y = A sin \alpha[/tex] (basic trigonometry)
----
Here is the part I'm not sure I understand fully:

[tex]\alpha = \omega t[/tex]

Why does that equation work?
-----

The angle alpha is replaced by [tex]\psi t[/tex] so the result is:

[tex]y = A sin \omega t[/tex]

The speed in the y direction is as follows:

[tex]v(t) = \frac {dy} {dt} = \omega A cos \omega t[/tex]

The acceleration in the y direction is:

[tex]a(t) = \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} = -\omega^2 A sin \omega t[/tex]

The above is simple calculus.

When a net force is acting on a body an acceleration will show.

The force that is acting on the body is (via hookes law):

[tex]F = -ky[/tex]

If we replace y with the expression we derived earlier we get

[tex]F = ma = -m \omega^2 A sin \alpha t[/tex]
[tex]F = -ky = -k A sin \alpha t[/tex]

ie.

[tex]m \omega^2 = -k \Leftrightarrow \omega = \sqrt{k / m}[/tex]

Combining the above expression with the commonly known

[tex]\omega = 2 \pi / T[/tex]

and you get the final result

[tex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt {m / k}[/tex]

------

My question is:

Why is [tex]\alpha = \omega t[/tex]?

Thank you for your time. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They assume the angular velocity is a constant.
It probably isn't, so they've hidden away an order of magnitude argument that would show it is a good approximation.

(That is, they've hidden away everything that physics is about)

So it is basically because

[tex]\alpha = \omega t[/tex]

Unit:

rad = rad/s x s

with the approximation that angular velocity is constant?

Yep, that should be it.

I was just wondering why you used psi instead of omega. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not written that way, usually.

alpaha = omega.t is just the rotational counterpart of s = vt (linear motion with constant velocity).

neutrino said:
I was just wondering why you used psi instead of omega. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not written that way, usually.

alpaha = omega.t is just the rotational counterpart of s = vt (linear motion with constant velocity).

Yes, I noticed that, so I changed it. The "how-to-latex" got me confused for a bit before i realized it.

Thank you arildno and neutrino! I really should check the units (as in rad = rad/s x s) more often :smile:

arildno said:
They assume the angular velocity is a constant.
It probably isn't, so they've hidden away an order of magnitude argument that would show it is a good approximation.

(That is, they've hidden away everything that physics is about)

The question is not explicitly provided but I was under the impression that that goal was to relate the motion of a mass attached to an ideal spring to circular motion. In that case, using a constant angular velocity is not an approximation or a guess. It follows from the fact that the projection along one of the axis must represent simple harmonic motion. And that implies a constant omega.

Just a comment.

Regards

Patrick

Related to Harmonic Motion and Springs Question

Question 1:

What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, following a specific pattern or path.

Question 2:

What factors affect the frequency of harmonic motion?

The frequency of harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the strength of the restoring force (such as gravity or a spring), and the stiffness of the object.

Question 3:

What is the relationship between harmonic motion and springs?

Harmonic motion and springs are closely related because springs are often used to create restoring forces that allow for harmonic motion. The displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position determines the frequency and amplitude of the harmonic motion.

Question 4:

How is the period of harmonic motion calculated?

The period of harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

Question 5:

What are some real-life examples of harmonic motion?

Some examples of harmonic motion in everyday life include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a mass on a spring bouncing up and down, and a guitar string vibrating after being plucked.