Harmonic Mean of Roots: Solving a Quadratic Equation with Complex Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the harmonic mean of the roots of a quadratic equation with a leading coefficient of 1. The suggested method is to divide the equation by the first term and use the resulting equation to find the sum and product of the roots, which can then be used to calculate the harmonic mean. The conversation also suggests using the substitution method to simplify the calculation.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The harmonic mean of the roots of the equation [itex](5+\sqrt{2})x^2-(4+\sqrt{5})x+8+2\sqrt{5}=0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this question is easy but the main problem arises in finding the roots of the above equation. When I use the quadratic formula I get some complicated terms which is not easy to solve. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, "finding the roots of the equation" is not the hard part because you don't need to find the roots! The first thing I would do is divide the entire equation by [itex]5+\sqrt{2}[/itex] to make the leading coefficient 1. Such a quadratic equation can be written as [itex](x- a)(x- b)= x^2- (a+b)x+ ab= 0[/itex] where a and b are the roots. You can read both a+ b and ab directly from the equation and use them to find the harmonic mean.

Substitute x = 1/y. Then the roots of the quadratic equation for y are the reciprocals of the roots of the equation for x. In the quadratic equation for y, -b/a is the sum of the roots for y, and is also equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the roots for x.

HallsofIvy said:
No, "finding the roots of the equation" is not the hard part because you don't need to find the roots! The first thing I would do is divide the entire equation by [itex]5+\sqrt{2}[/itex] to make the leading coefficient 1. Such a quadratic equation can be written as [itex](x- a)(x- b)= x^2- (a+b)x+ ab= 0[/itex] where a and b are the roots. You can read both a+ b and ab directly from the equation and use them to find the harmonic mean.

Thanks!

Related to Harmonic Mean of Roots: Solving a Quadratic Equation with Complex Terms

What is the harmonic mean?

The harmonic mean is a type of average that is used to calculate the overall rate or speed of a series of data points. It is calculated by dividing the number of data points by the sum of their reciprocals.

When is the harmonic mean used?

The harmonic mean is typically used when dealing with rates or speeds, such as average speed, average rate of return, or average cost per unit. It is also useful when dealing with data that has extreme values or outliers.

How is the harmonic mean calculated?

To calculate the harmonic mean, first determine the number of data points, then calculate the reciprocal of each data point. Next, sum all of the reciprocals and divide that sum by the number of data points. Finally, take the reciprocal of the resulting value to find the harmonic mean.

What is the difference between the harmonic mean and other types of averages?

The harmonic mean differs from other types of averages, such as the arithmetic mean or the geometric mean, in that it gives more weight to smaller values. This makes it useful for dealing with rates and extreme values, whereas other averages may be skewed by these factors.

Can the harmonic mean be applied to any type of data?

The harmonic mean can only be applied to data that can be expressed as a rate or speed, such as distance over time or cost per unit. It cannot be used with categorical data or data that does not have a clear numerical value.