Hard Time self studying Principles of Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the person is self-studying "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar as prep for research, recommended by a professor. They have only studied the first few chapters of Griffiths' intro to QM and are finding Shankar difficult. They are asking for suggestions for online resources to supplement their studying. Another person suggests reading up on linear algebra for math help and using Wikipedia for a concise overview of new physics concepts.
glueball8
Hi,

I'm currently self studying "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar. (Its prep for research, a Prof. recommended the book.) I have only done 2nd year of intro to QM which only covers 1st few chapters of griffiths. (Know multical)

I find myself having a hard time going to Shankar. Does anyone know any online notes, video, books that I can look at while studying Shankar?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your specific problem? If it's the math, I'd say go read some linear algebra. Else, what I'd suggest is when there is a new physics concept given, check Wikipedia for a concise "big picture" treatment on that specific.

Related to Hard Time self studying Principles of Quantum Mechanics

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons. It provides a framework for understanding the fundamental principles of the universe at a microscopic level.

2. What are the basic principles of Quantum Mechanics?

The basic principles of Quantum Mechanics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles describe the probabilistic nature of particles and their behavior in different states.

3. How is Quantum Mechanics relevant to real-world applications?

Quantum Mechanics has led to many important technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields like cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum communication.

4. What is the best way to study Quantum Mechanics?

The best way to study Quantum Mechanics is through a combination of theoretical understanding and practical applications. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, especially linear algebra and calculus, as well as an understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. Is it possible to self-study Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, it is possible to self-study Quantum Mechanics, but it requires dedication, discipline, and a strong background in mathematics and physics. It is recommended to use textbooks, online resources, and practice problems to supplement your learning and ensure a comprehensive understanding of the subject.