Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet

• Thread starter CantorSet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Hard
In summary, the problem asks to find the number of ways that three consecutive integers can be removed from a set of consecutive integers from 1 to N, where N = 10^{2000}+2000, so that the average of the remaining numbers is an integer. Through a process of adding and subtracting numbers, it is determined that there are four possible combinations that satisfy this condition.
CantorSet
Hi everyone,

For fun, I decided to check out some problems from a math competition designed for advanced high school students. I came across this problem that I can't seem to figure out. The contestants are suppose to be able to get it in 3 minutes (it's part of a 20 question test given in an hour). It's a multiple choice problem:

18) Let [itex]N = 10^{2000}+2000[/itex] , and let S be the set of consecutive integers from 1 to N. In how many different ways can three consecutive integers be removed from S so that the average of the remaining numbers is an integer?

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 6

Here is the link to the original problem. It's number 18.
http://webserver.forest.org.uk/resource.aspx?id=27123

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi CantorSet! :smile:

That's quite a fun question, actually.

Anyway, let us call S' the set of values {1,...,N-3} (so we removed the last three values. The average of this set is an integer.

Now, to form all the possible set with three values, we may add some (maximum 3) values to S', but we have to make sure we substract the same number of values from S'.

For example, we might add the value [itex]10^{2000}+2000[/itex] to S', but we also have to remove a value from S', say we remove 1. Then the average is

[itex]Average(S')+\frac{(10^{2000}+2000)-1}{10^{2000}+1997}[/itex]

This is not an integer, since the last term is not an integer.

However, if we add [itex]10^{2000}+2000[/itex] and remove 3, then we get

[itex]Average(S')+\frac{(10^{2000}+2000)-3}{10^{2000}+1997}[/itex]

this is an integer, so this is a solution.

Try to find out what possible combination we can have!

Very nice.

I bow before a master.

:shy:

Sorry to bring this off topic but does anyone else think that the correct answer is not included in the multiple choice options for Q17 (the one about the regular 20-gon preceding the the OP's question).

Maybe I'm misreading the question, maybe I'm doing something stupid, but it seems very easy with the answer being [itex]80 - 40 \cos(18^{\circ})[/itex], or [itex]40 + 80 \, \sin^2(9^{\circ})[/itex] if you prefer. None of the listed options are even numerically close to this ?

Last edited:
uart said:
Sorry to bring this off topic but does anyone else think that the correct answer is not included in the multiple choice options for Q17 (the one about the regular 20-gon preceding the the OP's question).

Maybe I'm misreading the question, maybe I'm doing something stupid, but it seems very easy with the answer being [itex]80 - 40 \cos(18^{\circ})[/itex], or [itex]40 + 80 \, \sin^2(9^{\circ})[/itex] if you prefer. None of the listed options are even numerically close to this ?

I think they meant the sum of squares of lines connecting two points on the polygon. Pythagoras immediately yields 400.

disregardthat said:
I think they meant the sum of squares of lines connecting two points on the polygon. Pythagoras immediately yields 400.

Ok yeah it was just me being stupid. For some reason I was only taking the diagonals that passed through the center. :blushing:

uart said:
For some reason I was only taking the diagonals that passed through the center. :blushing:

I agree, I have never seen cords being called diagonals before. The problem text could be clearer.

micromass said:
Hi CantorSet! :smile:

That's quite a fun question, actually.

Anyway, let us call S' the set of values {1,...,N-3} (so we removed the last three values. The average of this set is an integer.

Now, to form all the possible set with three values, we may add some (maximum 3) values to S', but we have to make sure we substract the same number of values from S'.

For example, we might add the value [itex]10^{2000}+2000[/itex] to S', but we also have to remove a value from S', say we remove 1. Then the average is

[itex]Average(S')+\frac{(10^{2000}+2000)-1}{10^{2000}+1997}[/itex]

This is not an integer, since the last term is not an integer.

However, if we add [itex]10^{2000}+2000[/itex] and remove 3, then we get

[itex]Average(S')+\frac{(10^{2000}+2000)-3}{10^{2000}+1997}[/itex]

this is an integer, so this is a solution.

Try to find out what possible combination we can have!
The problem states that three consecutive integers must be removed from the set, so adding [itex]10^{2000}+2000[/itex] and then removing 3 from S' does not give a solution. Adding the numbers [itex]10^{2000}+1998[/itex], [itex]10^{2000}+1999[/itex], and [itex]10^{2000}+2000[/itex] then removing 1, 2, and 3 will give the second solution. The process you are using in your post shows that this combination works. According to the link in the OP, the solution is that there are four different ways this can be done. I have absolutely no idea how to solve for the other two.

Building off what micromass suggested.

Starting with the average for S', let us add the three terminating numbers back to the average and also subtract three consecutive numbers: [itex]\{x,\ x+1,\ x+2\}[/itex]. That is we consider

[itex]\bar{S'}+\frac{3\cdot10^{2000}+3\cdot1999-(3x+3)}{10^{2000}+1997}= \bar{S'} + \frac{3(10^{2000}+1998-x)}{10^{2000}+1997}[/itex]

the quotient of the latter fraction varies from 3 to 0 since x varies from 1 to 10^2000+1998 and so there can be a maximum of four integral values, namely 0, 1, 2, 3. Notice also that

[itex]10^{2000}+1997\equiv1+2\equiv0\ (mod\ 3)[/itex]

so the denominator is divisible by 3. We can attain all four values as follows: Let [itex]m=\frac{10^{2000}+1997}{3}[/itex]. Since the term 10^2000+1998-x varies continuously from 0 to 10^2000+1997 we can take the following values for x:

[itex]x_{3}=1[/itex]

[itex]x_{2}=m+1[/itex]

[itex]x_{1}=2m+1[/itex]

[itex]x_{0}=3m+1[/itex]

which will give the quotients of 3, 2, 1 and 0 respectively. Thus there are four and only four ways to remove three consecutive numbers from the set so that the average of the remaining set is an integer.

Last edited:

Related to Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet

1. What is the "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet"?

The "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet" is a challenging math problem that is often used in math competitions and contests, particularly in the Bay Area of California. It is known for being difficult and requiring advanced problem-solving skills.

2. How is the "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet" different from other math problems?

The "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet" is different from other math problems because it often requires creative and out-of-the-box thinking to solve. It may also involve multiple steps and complex concepts, making it more challenging than a typical math problem.

3. What skills or knowledge are needed to solve the "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet"?

Solving the "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet" requires a strong foundation in math, particularly in advanced topics such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.

4. How do people typically approach the "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet"?

There is no one specific approach to solving the "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet." However, many people start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and then using their math skills and creativity to find a solution.

5. Is there a solution to the "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet"?

Yes, there is a solution to the "Hard problem from Bay Area Math Meet." However, it may not be immediately obvious and may require multiple attempts and different strategies to find. Additionally, there may be multiple ways to arrive at the solution.