Hard Optics Problem: Calculate Magnification & Image Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnification and image distance for an object placed in front of a converging lens, with a thick glass plate placed in front of the lens. The lens makers formula is mentioned as a tool to find the image distance after refraction off the glass surface. It is also noted that the thickness of the glass slab may impact the final solution. However, there is confusion about using the first image as a virtual object for the glass slab and the lack of information about the thickness of the glass slab.
reb30
1. An object (height o) is placed at an object distance S in front of a converging lens. The lens is placed at a distance d<Si (image distance) in front of a very thick glass plate (index of refraction n, thickness larger than image distance). The surface of the glass plate is perpendicular to the optical axis. Calculate the magnification m and the image distance Si

2. Lens makers equation? I'm not really sure

3. I know the magnification will be the same whether the glass is there or not, but I can't actually get any equations out for it :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find out where the first image will be formed using the lens formula.

That image acts as a virtual object for the glass slab. Here you can use the lens makers formula to find out where the image will be after the first refraction off the glass surface.

Then you subtract/add the thickness of the glass slab to the second image and that's your second virtual object for refraction at the second surface of the glass slab.

There's something else here too, the fact that the glass slab is thicker than the image distance... keep that in mind when you solve it. That'll put a mathematical constraint on your answer somewhere after the first refraction at the slab surface.

Thanks for your reply. I had a look at this, but don't understand how you can use the first image as a virtual object for the slab of glass, because it will be inside it. Also, we aren't told the thickness of the glass slab, I think because it is infinitely thick so it doesn't matter.

Any ideas?

Related to Hard Optics Problem: Calculate Magnification & Image Distance

1. What is a "hard optics problem"?

A hard optics problem is a type of mathematical problem that requires the use of complex formulas and equations to calculate the magnification and image distance of an optical system. These problems often involve concepts such as focal length, object distance, and lens power.

2. How do you calculate magnification in a hard optics problem?

Magnification is calculated by dividing the image distance by the object distance. This can be represented by the formula M = -i/o, where M is the magnification, i is the image distance, and o is the object distance.

3. What is the image distance in a hard optics problem?

The image distance is the distance between the image formed by the optical system and the lens or mirror. It is represented by the variable i in the magnification formula.

4. How do you determine the image distance in a hard optics problem?

The image distance can be determined by using the thin lens equation, which states that 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the object distance and f is the focal length of the lens. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for i.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving hard optics problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert units to the correct format. For example, focal length is often given in centimeters, but the equation for magnification requires it to be in meters. Another mistake is using the wrong sign for the image distance, as it is typically negative for real images and positive for virtual images. It is also important to keep track of units and use the correct formula for the given scenario, as there are different equations for mirrors and lenses.