What resources can help me improve my advanced algebra skills?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a high school student seeking recommendations for books or study guides to enhance their algebra skills over the summer. Options suggested included "College Algebra 4th edition" by James Stewart, "Intro to Modern Algebra" by Gilbert & Gilbert, and "Higher Algebra" by Hall & Knight. However, there was some confusion over what level of algebra the student was looking for, with suggestions ranging from basic algebra to more advanced topics like group theory. Ultimately, the student found a suitable book at the library and thanked everyone for their help.
RossSays
Hello,

I am a high school student looking to study further into advanced algebra over the summer. What books / outlines / study-guides do you recommend? I would like to bolster my algebraic skills for future success in higher mathematics.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
college algebra 4th edition by James Stewart

There's one with a title like "intro to modern algebra" by gilbert & gilbert that my school uses for the 1st course on algebra. They don't even do Lagrange's theorem or homomorphisms in the course so it can't be very advanced. It would probably be ok for a high school student.

stop by waldenbooks, they have a bunch of books that will help. last time i went there they had everything from elementary mathematics to calculus and differential equations.

Noteing the very disparate responses by Fourier jr and killer instinct, you need to be more precise as to what you mean by "advanced algebra"!

A high school student asked, so I guess I just assumed that he wouldn't be working on stuff like the Hilbert Basis Theorem, free groups or Jacobson Radical, etc etc. I'd be surprised if he even knows what a group is.

You could check out Hall & Knight, "Higher Algebra" - it's not advanced, but neither is it elementary.

Sorry, i didn't specify. I was just looking to bolster my algebra skills for ap calc next year...just stuff like sequences, series, probability, log functions and permuations and combinations. Found a decent book at the library, went through it, and i am fine. Thanks for your help, though.

What is advanced algebra?

Advanced algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and analysis of mathematical expressions and equations containing variables, exponents, and polynomials. It builds upon the fundamental concepts of algebra and covers topics such as linear and quadratic equations, functions, matrices, and systems of equations.

Why is advanced algebra important?

Advanced algebra is important because it provides a foundation for many other areas of mathematics and science. It helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in various fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science. It also allows us to model and analyze real-world situations using mathematical equations and functions.

What are some real-life applications of advanced algebra?

Advanced algebra has many real-life applications, including calculating interest rates in finance, predicting population growth in demographics, optimizing production processes in engineering, and analyzing data in various scientific experiments. It is also used in computer graphics, cryptography, and many other fields.

Is advanced algebra difficult to learn?

Advanced algebra can be challenging for some people, but with practice and dedication, it can be mastered. It requires a solid understanding of basic algebra concepts, such as solving equations and simplifying expressions. It also requires the ability to think abstractly and logically. With the right resources and guidance, anyone can learn advanced algebra.

What are some tips for studying advanced algebra?

Some tips for studying advanced algebra include practicing regularly, understanding the underlying concepts, and seeking help when needed. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to use visual aids, such as graphs and diagrams, to understand abstract concepts better. Additionally, staying organized and keeping up with class material can also aid in understanding and retaining the material.