Hard Circuit simplification problem

In summary, The conversation is about a problem involving Thevenin's theorem and the task of solving for two unknown relationships by eliminating two variables. The equations and concepts involved are discussed and the individual expresses difficulty with the mathematical aspect of the problem.
rohanlol7

Homework Statement

Everything is in the picture. Question 3(a)
This is for preparation for a contest.

FtiKaYw.png

http://i.imgur.com/FtiKaYw.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the total resistance of the first circuit and used that to evaluate V(AB). But this is in terms of the resistance of the load. I tried using kirchhoffs laws to eliminate it but i cannot seem to do so. Also i do not understand why there is a unique combination of R(th) and E(th) that works.
I also noticed that R(th) is in face the value of the resistance of the first circuit if the load has zero resistance but i don't understand why this is so

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at it from the point of view of the load. And post your work to see where you get stuck...

Look up Thevenin's theorem. Eth is the Thevenin equivalent voltage and and rth is the Thevenin resistance.

cnh1995 said:
Look up Thevenin's theorem. Eth is the Thevenin equivalent voltage and and rth is the Thevenin resistance.
Thanks ! i saw it. However i still don't understand how I'm supposed to figure that out in the problem

rohanlol7 said:
how I'm supposed to figure that out in the problem
You have two equations (already filling in ##\ \ V_{AB} = V_{PG} = V_L \ \ ## and ##\ \ I=I_0={V_L\over R_L}\ ##) : $$
V_L = V_{th}\; {r_{th} \over r_{th} + R_L}$$ in the right diagram; and in the left diagram you have $$
V_1 \; {R_3 \over R_1 + R_3} = V_L + R_2 {V_L \over R_L} $$and your task was to work around these two equations with four unknowns to two relationships by eliminating ##V_L## and ## R_L##. Not so easy, I grant you. But thereby you prove Thevenin's theorem (as opposed to making use of it)

BvU said:
You have two equations (already filling in ##\ \ V_{AB} = V_{PG} = V_L \ \ ## and ##\ \ I=I_0={V_L\over R_L}\ ##) : $$
V_L = V_{th}\; {r_{th} \over r_{th} + R_L}$$ in the right diagram; and in the left diagram you have $$
V_1 \; {R_3 \over R_1 + R_3} = V_L + R_2 {V_L \over R_L} $$and your task was to work around these two equations with four unknowns to two relationships by eliminating ##V_L## and ## R_L##. Not so easy, I grant you. But thereby you prove Thevenin's theorem (as opposed to making use of it)
Thanks ! i tried something similar.
The second equation come from equating the pd across R3 right ?

Across R3 and across the series Rload and R2 as well

BvU said:
Across R3 and across the series Rload and R2 as well
The right hand side of the equation represents the pd across the load and R2( right ? ) shouldn't the left hand side be v1- v1*R1/(total resistance for the circuit) ?

My bad ! Sorry. Well observed !

BvU said:
My bad ! Sorry. Well observed !
No problem!
God so i knew how to do it its just the maths part that's killing me. I guess i'll have to work that out slowly. Thanks!

Related to Hard Circuit simplification problem

What is a Hard Circuit simplification problem?

A Hard Circuit simplification problem is a mathematical problem that involves simplifying a complex electrical circuit into a simpler form without changing its overall function or behavior. It is often used in the field of electrical engineering and computer science to reduce the complexity and improve the efficiency of circuits.

Why is circuit simplification important?

Circuit simplification is important because it allows for the reduction of complexity in electrical circuits, which can lead to cost savings, improved efficiency, and easier troubleshooting. It also allows for the design of more compact and reliable circuits, which is especially beneficial in modern electronic devices.

What are some common methods used for circuit simplification?

Some common methods used for circuit simplification include Karnaugh maps, Boolean algebra, and the use of logic gates. These methods help to simplify complex circuits by identifying redundant or unnecessary components and simplifying logic expressions.

What are the challenges involved in circuit simplification?

One of the main challenges involved in circuit simplification is finding the optimal balance between circuit complexity and performance. Removing too many components can result in a loss of functionality, while leaving too many can lead to inefficiencies. Additionally, circuit simplification may also involve trade-offs between cost, size, and reliability.

How is circuit simplification related to optimization?

Circuit simplification is closely related to optimization as it involves finding the most efficient and effective way to achieve a desired outcome. In the case of circuit simplification, the goal is to reduce the complexity of a circuit while maintaining its functionality. This requires identifying areas that can be improved and making strategic decisions to achieve the best overall result.