Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Top 'o' the day to ya!

I trust everyone has donned their green apparel! When I was a child in school, it was tradition to give our classmates who neglected to wear something green to school on St. Patrick's Day a good pinching. (Giggle)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I always seemed to forget about this holiday in school and was subject to some nasty pinches. Ouch!

Don't know about you guys but I plan on getting wild by studying for a midterm exam and going to bed early. Crazy. (Party)

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hey, that sounds about as wild as my plans. :D

The last time I got wild on St. Patrick's day, I awoke to find a boot on the left front wheel of my Z06 as I had parked in a restricted area the night before...(Giggle)

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Greetings from Mr. McArov.

This particular holiday, for one, is non-existent in Russia. Instead, today is the last day of Maslenitsa, or Butter Week, which is an analog of western carnival as a celebration before the lent and which is famous for eating pancakes. Orthodox lent starts on a Monday instead of a Wednesday, and the last day of Maslenitsa (an analog of Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday) is called the Forgiveness Sunday. There is a great tradition to ask forgiveness of everybody one knows. Maslenitsa often comes later than carnival because Orthodox Easter is usually later than Catholic one: in 2013, Easter comes on March 31 according to the western Gregorian calendar and on May 5 according to the eastern Julian calendar.

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
Here in Birmingham we apparently have the third largest parade in the world after New York and Dublin. It's not entirely unsurprising because I'd say a large number of people (especially whites) have some Irish in them because of immigration from the emerald isle. I personally am 1/4 Irish (my maternal grandparents were born in Ireland)

That said I've been at home because I'm sick and going out is not my cup of tea - staying in and drinking tea is!

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Greetings from Mr. McArov.

This particular holiday, for one, is non-existent in Russia. Instead, today is the last day of Maslenitsa, or Butter Week, which is an analog of western carnival as a celebration before the lent and which is famous for eating pancakes. Orthodox lent starts on a Monday instead of a Wednesday, and the last day of Maslenitsa (an analog of Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday) is called the Forgiveness Sunday. There is a great tradition to ask forgiveness of everybody one knows. Maslenitsa often comes later than carnival because Orthodox Easter is usually later than Catholic one: in 2013, Easter comes on March 31 according to the western Gregorian calendar and on May 5 according to the eastern Julian calendar.
This was one of my favorite traditions to observe while living in Moscow. I'm not a huge fan of "блины" (Russian pancakes, more like crêpes though in my opinion) but they are definitely worth a try because they are so prevalent during this week. There are also other cool festivities around town. Not sure how they celebrate in other Russian cities but in Moscow it was a very interesting time.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Yes, well, it's orange for us Protestants. But I didn't get a chance to wear orange yesterday. Oh, well. Maybe next year I can wear a kilt to school.

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
On St. Patrick's Day, I wore a great kilt, and went out with some of my friends. I am over 70% Irish, with some Scottish and Swedish. This is my second favorite holiday, and I have been known to get a little wild with it. And, when I spend time with relatives, I inexplicably pick up a rather strong Irish accent. Oh well... Happy belated St. Patrick's Day all.