Exploring the Reality of Ouija Boards

• Thread starter benzun_1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of Ouija boards and whether they are real or not. One person believes that it is just a subconscious effect and can be explained scientifically, while the other person believes that it is a way to communicate with spirits and that it is real. They also discuss the idea that people may selectively believe in things that support their preexisting views and the power of the mind to create illusions. The conversation also references the controversy surrounding the use of Ouija boards and the suggestion that they may be related to dissociative and/or hypnotic states rather than actual communication with spirits. Overall, there is no conclusive evidence that Ouija boards are real, and they are often debunked as nothing more than a psychological
Originally posted by Jonathan
Well, I'd say that even Zero knows better than him. Wood doesn't move by itself. I can't believe I even have to say it.

Look, I'll try to explain it, it's really not that complex.

This species of oak has an unusual process of absobtion of minerals through it's roots which isn't as discriminate as other tree's processes of absorbtion of minerals. There is a large supply of iron ore in the groudn where this species of oak grows. Due to this, and the fact that the trees are usually left undisturbed for hundreds of years, they trees develop a very specific magnetic orientation in relation to the magnetic north pole. Imagine a kind of longitude line coming from the magnetic north pole, that is what develops in these trees. They have a very strong bond with this specific "magnetic longitude line" for lack of a better term. When they are cut down, the weight of the whole tree is far too much for the magnetic iron in it to do anything along the lines of moving it, but once it's cut up into smaller pieces, it can get to a light enough weight where it can actually move back to it's original "magnetic longitude line"

Understand now, mister skeptic?

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe: Do you me 'we' as in both of you? then why is he still going on with it?
wasteofo2: Yes, and it is complete BS. BTW I just got a PM and if it is you trying to talk to me, I don't know yet what you've said, I'm going to finish this post first.
If we make the assumption that the magnetized mineral in the wood is perfectly evenly distributed, then it doesn't matter what size the wood is, if it won't move it at a certain size, it won't move at any size. If it is disproportionatly distributed, then I'll allow the possibility that certain parts, when small enough, could very slowly move themselves, just for the sake of arguement. I mean slowly like 1cm/month, if that, which is so slow that the phenomenon wouldn't be noticed and we wouldn't be talking about it. Regardless, as per the working of magnetism, it will not be drawn to a particular longitude (not to mention that it won't be drawn to any particular latitude, even by your convoluted explanation, so it could end up anywhere in line with the forest and the nearest pole), it will be drawn to rotate to line up with the poles of the earth, and then it will be drawn to which ever pole is closer. But these forces are so incredibly weak that they wouldn't noticably effect a piece of magnetized dust as it floats about. (It would rotate it to stay lined up, but it wouldn't move any an direction more than any other.)
I can't believe anyone belives this!

zoobyshoe: Do you me 'we' as in both of you? then why is he still going on with it?
wasteofo2: Yes, and it is complete BS. BTW I just got a PM and if it is you trying to talk to me, I don't know yet what you've said, I'm going to finish this post first.
If we make the assumption that the magnetized mineral in the wood is perfectly evenly distributed, then it doesn't matter what size the wood is, if it won't move it at a certain size, it won't move at any size. If it is disproportionatly distributed, then I'll allow the possibility that certain parts, when small enough, could very slowly move themselves, just for the sake of arguement. I mean slowly like 1cm/month, if that, which is so slow that the phenomenon wouldn't be noticed and we wouldn't be talking about it. Regardless, as per the working of magnetism, it will not be drawn to a particular longitude (not to mention that it won't be drawn to any particular latitude, even by your convoluted explanation, so it could end up anywhere in line with the forest and the nearest pole), it will be drawn to rotate to line up with the poles of the earth, and then it will be drawn to which ever pole is closer. But these forces are so incredibly weak that they wouldn't noticably effect a piece of magnetized dust as it floats about. (It would rotate it to stay lined up, but it wouldn't move any an direction more than any other.)
I can't believe anyone belives this!

HAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, you really allowed yourself to be taken farther with this than you should have. Of course it was all BS and I was making it up as I went along, but the fact that you actually came up with an intelligent rebuttal to my "wood can move and repair itself after being burnt due to magnetism" argument shows you need to chill out a bit. Tommorow afternoon: get a box of cookies, a tall glass of milk, smoke a joint and watch spinal tap or something.

Last edited:
wierd!

This ouja board is becoming more wierd. First and fore most is there anyone who really has used this ouja board here?

I don't accept with anyone who tells that ouja board isnot real because many have used it.

Wheter ouja board is real or not it is dangerous and i dare not use it. :wink:

The true lord my God has warned not to use it at any coast.

Wasteofo2 don't tell us your own theories.

Tell me weather this board thing is true. All that matters is that it works that is why it was more sold than monopoly in the 1970's

Benzun
All for God

How did you get zoobyshoe in on it?
Now, I'm sorry for being seemingly stupid, but Zero fell for it too(though that doesn't say much ), and I have to deal with people like Zero, who say the most bizarre off-the-wall things with a straight face, all the time. I'm actually looser than you'd think, I guess I need to be more liberal with those smilies, huh Zero?

:smile: :frown:

No, I don't think it works, and you shouldn't buy one, ever.

Last edited:
He didn't do anything to get me into it. When I read the cr8p about the book and special oak trees for ouija boards I knew he was yanking your chain, so I just played along. I was kinda surprised Zero thought we believed what we were saying, too.

Originally posted by benzun_1999
This ouja board is becoming more wierd. First and fore most is there anyone who really has used this ouja board here?

I don't accept with anyone who tells that ouja board isnot real because many have used it.

Wheter ouja board is real or not it is dangerous and i dare not use it. :wink:

The true lord my God has warned not to use it at any coast.

Wasteofo2 don't tell us your own theories.

Tell me weather this board thing is true. All that matters is that it works that is why it was more sold than monopoly in the 1970's

Benzun
All for God

As far as I know, neither testament has mention of an ouija board...

I've used it with some friends, nothing happened, it just stayed static until I decided to spell out "Elephant tusk" and see who the first one to realize it was me would be.

And Benzun, first of all, it was a joke. Second of all, I'm allowed to come up with and display theories here if I want to, "this isn't stalingrad".

wasteofo2, you know what he means: the Bible warns against soothsayers, false prophets, etc.

Benzun lives in Oman. He is almost assuredly a Muslim. He would not be referring to anything in the old or new testament.

Oh, sorry, that didn't occur to me, I was going by wasteofo2's post's mentioning of testaments. However, I bet the Quran also warns against soothsayers, etc., esp. given benzun_1999's opinions.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Benzun lives in Oman. He is almost assuredly a Muslim. He would not be referring to anything in the old or new testament.

Ahh...
In that case, I know exactly what part of the koran warns against ouija boards...

wasteofo2, you know what he means: the Bible warns against soothsayers, false prophets, etc.

Ok, but come on, if an apostle came up to jesus with a wooden board with some letters painted on and a triangle with glass in the middle screaming that it spoke to him, do you think jesus would have done anything other than laughed and told him to calm down and have a glass of his blood?

That is one of the most bizarre comments, I don't even know what to think of it. But if we take the position that ouiji board phenomena are all in the head of the player, then Jesus would've known this and said so, but it was my understanding that he never laughed. Then again, if the ouiji board really is a method of communicating with spirits, and they are almost certaintly going to be demonic, then I think Jesus would have warned against them very seriously.

That is one of the most bizarre comments, I don't even know what to think of it. But if we take the position that ouiji board phenomena are all in the head of the player, then Jesus would've known this and said so, but it was my understanding that he never laughed. Then again, if the ouiji board really is a method of communicating with spirits, and they are almost certaintly going to be demonic, then I think Jesus would have warned against them very seriously.

Look dude, it's a wooden board with letters painted on it, nothing more, just a wooden board with letters. If demons want to communicate with you and they can only do so through this little piece of wood then they're pathetic demons to begin with and shouldn't be feared in any way.

Any demon should be feared. And how do you know that there are not many other ways to communicate available to all demons, and that they often choose this one because it seems so innocent and stupid? They're tricky you know...you can't be too cautious.

Any demon should be feared. And how do you know that there are not many other ways to communicate available to all demons, and that they often choose this one because it seems so innocent and stupid? They're tricky you know...you can't be too cautious.

I shall corrupt humanity through a wooden plank with letters painted on made by a game company, fear my evil!

Any demon that talks through an ouija board is a crappy one in my book, if demon's are so badassed, why don't they take over the soul of someone who's on a sumbarine with nuclear weapons and just kill everyone in the world?

Last edited:
A small group played with one of these boards long ago. It seemed quite interesting...

...until one of the players was caught moving the thing.

I think you are more afraid of demons than God.

Calm down folks... Didn't Jesus talk to demons? The fear is how demons, real or metaphorical, have power over you.

Originally posted by FZ+ Calm down folks... Didn't Jesus talk to demons?
I'm pretty sure it was devils, and apparently demons and devils are two different animals.
The fear is how demons, real or metaphorical, have power over you.
There is something to this. Most mentally ill people are harmless and non-violent toward others. The small percentage who are violent are frequently motivated by the paranoid fear that someone in their life has been possessed.
Son of Sam was a classic example. He thought his neighbor Sam's dog had been possessed by the devil and was ordering him (David Berkowitz) to kill people. He shot the dog, but when it survived the bullet, it just confirmed for him that it was possessed. Intense fear of evil sometimes ends up being a kind of evil itself.

Fz+,

I'm impressed - your theology is quite accurate.

FZ+: That is correct, God is to be feared only if you are not sorry for your sins, and I try to be, so I think I'm doing pretty good. The parts of the Bible that say things about fearing God are inaccurate. Unfortunatly, I don't remember what exactly they really ment or where I heard that, so I can't argue that very far. Also, need I remind you that Jesus was more powerful than the demons? That's like me being afraid of a grain of sand, so of course he wasn't. Regardless, this isn't the religion forum.
zoobyshoe: I disagree, my experience with the insane has shown me that they are far more dangerous than many think. Don't misunderstand, they usually don't mean to be dangerous, they can't really be held responsible for their actions. But it is really hard to tell, they could be vegetative one second and at your throat the next, it is really their unpredictability that makes them even more dangerous, esp. for those who aren't used to or don't know they are dealing with someone insane.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe

Pleasedont change my religion. I am a christian from India presently reciding in Oman

To fear the Lord means to hold Him in Awe and respect, and yes even know your place - there is nothing inaccurate about any statement thus referring. Be careful what you dismiss!

Originally posted by wasteofo2
As far as I know, neither testament has mention of an ouija board...

I've used it with some friends, nothing happened, it just stayed static until I decided to spell out "Elephant tusk" and see who the first one to realize it was me would be.

And Benzun, first of all, it was a joke. Second of all, I'm allowed to come up with and display theories here if I want to, "this isn't stalingrad".

firstly though the bible doesn't tell about ouja board it certainly warns us not speak to spirts.

and secondly i accept that you have full right to tell your own theories but please let us know that it is your own theory.

Bernardo: Yes, that's right, but my point was that most people think it literally means fear, the way one fears a murderer. That unnamed source I spoke of, I think they said something to that effect, but they used a better (than usual) and direct translation of the Hebrew words to prove it.
benzun_1999: Sorry again, back to the Bible then.

FZ+: That is correct, God is to be feared only if you are not sorry for your sins, and I try to be, so I think I'm doing pretty good. The parts of the Bible that say things about fearing God are inaccurate. Unfortunatly, I don't remember what exactly they really ment or where I heard that, so I can't argue that very far. Also, need I remind you that Jesus was more powerful than the demons? That's like me being afraid of a grain of sand, so of course he wasn't. Regardless, this isn't the religion forum.

What bible tells is that we have to respect God. Fearmeans to Respect God in the Bible.(it is becoming to religious :wink: )

Yes, but I think they should just use the word respect, esp. given there is so much consensus on what fear was meant to mean. By
(it is becoming to religious :wink:)
Do you mean 'this thread is becoming too religious'? If so, I agree, so we should get back on topic or stop.

Last edited:
Look dude, it's a wooden board with letters painted on it, nothing more, just a wooden board with letters. If demons want to communicate with you and they can only do so through this little piece of wood then they're pathetic demons to begin with and shouldn't be feared in any way.

It is just a board with word in the begining, then when you get hooked it changes into everything in your life (a power), and finally when you find that it is wrong and try to destroy it, it trys to kill you.

So there is nothing to fear right?

I have never heard of murderous wooden planks, but I do agree, if you come to believe in it, you will likely start believing in all sorts of New Agey mumbo-jumbo.

It is just a board with word in the begining, then when you get hooked it changes into everything in your life (a power), and finally when you find that it is wrong and try to destroy it, it trys to kill you.

So there is nothing to fear right?

The only time wooden boards kill people is when they're propelled at high speeds.

The only time wooden boards kill people is when they're propelled at high speeds.
Especially if they have pointy pieces of metal attached to the end!

True, true.

And the fact that a person takes a "communication" seriously enough to have it significantly interfere with the enjoyment of life might be a sufficient reason for avoiding the Ouija board as being more than a "harmless bit of entertainment," but it is hardly a sufficient reason for concluding that the messages issue from anything but our own minds.

I once played a Ouija board at checkers, all it said was 'yes'. That's when I threw it across the room.

Originally posted by Jeebus
True, true.

And the fact that a person takes a "communication" seriously enough to have it significantly interfere with the enjoyment of life might be a sufficient reason for avoiding the Ouija board as being more than a "harmless bit of entertainment," but it is hardly a sufficient reason for concluding that the messages issue from anything but our own minds.

I once played a Ouija board at checkers, all it said was 'yes'. That's when I threw it across the room.
And it didn't fly back and hit you? Or set fire to your car?

Originally posted by Zero
And it didn't fly back and hit you? Or set fire to your car?

No; It kept saying 'maybe'.

Pleasedont change my religion. I am a christian from India presently reciding in Oman
Sorry.