Calculating the Impact: Measuring Dive Heights from the Pool

• Thread starter fightinag07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, the speaker is describing their dive in a pool and mentions jumping from a height of 12 feet and falling the rest of the way, resulting in a maximum height of 16 feet. They also mention that they are not a physics student and apologize for their previous tone towards the person they are talking to, who is a professor. The person they are talking to questions how they know they reached a maximum of 16 feet.
fightinag07
yo, just curious - i managed a backbuster from 16 feet yesterday in the diving pool - who wants to find out the speed at which i hit the water?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are kind of giving the game away by putting this in the homework section aren't you?

Did you not "jump" up at all? Just fall?

no, I am in college and taking no physics classes - i jumped from a distance of 12 feet up to a distance of 16 feet and fell the rest of the way to the water... and since the point at which i began to fall was 16 feet (my velocity at this point was 0) its the same as saying that i began to fall at 16 feet.

and i take back any "tone" i had in the previous post, seeing that you are a professor, not a high schooler with an attitude like i thought.

How do you know that you reached a max of 16ft?

What is the physics behind falling from a high dive?

Falling from a high dive is governed by the laws of gravity and motion. As an object falls, it accelerates towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This acceleration is due to the force of gravity pulling the object towards the center of the Earth. The speed of the fall increases until it reaches a state of terminal velocity, when the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity.

Is there a safe way to fall from a high dive?

Yes, there are techniques that can help reduce the impact of falling from a high dive. One common technique is to enter the water feet first with arms raised above the head. This helps distribute the force of impact across the entire body, reducing the risk of injury. It is also important to maintain a straight body position and keep the head up to avoid hitting the bottom of the pool.

What factors can affect the speed of a fall from a high dive?

The speed of a fall from a high dive can be affected by several factors, including the height of the dive, the weight and body position of the person falling, and the presence of air resistance. Additionally, the type of surface being landed on (such as water or a hard surface) can also impact the speed of the fall.

What are some common injuries associated with falling from a high dive?

The most common injuries associated with falling from a high dive include bruises, sprains, and fractures. In more severe cases, head and spinal injuries can also occur. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and use caution when diving from a high platform to avoid these types of injuries.

How can we improve safety for high diving?

To improve safety for high diving, it is important to have proper training and supervision for those using high dive platforms. The height of the platform should also be appropriate for the depth of the water and the skill level of the diver. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the high dive equipment to ensure it is in good working condition.