Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Happy Holidays!

soroban

Feb 2, 2012

. . . . . [tex]\begin{array}{c}\color{red}{\text{A}} \\ \color{green}{\text{BC}} \\ \color{red}{\text{DEF}} \\ \color{green}{\text{GHIJ}} \\ \color{red}{\text{KMNOP}} \\ \color{green}{\text{QRSTUV}} \\ \color{red}{\text{WX}} \\ \color{green}{\text{YZ}} \end{array}[/tex]

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Noel!

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
Bah Humbug!

eddybob123

Aug 18, 2013
Where's the L?

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
No L = Noel, get it?

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Very witty!

In Russia, it's so strange to hear congratulations on TV and other places that don't mention Christmas, only the New Year. Orthodox Christmas according to the Julian calendar is on the 13th day of Christmas according to the Gregorian calendar. There is even a story by Isaac Asimov (who was born in Russia in a Jewish family) that exploits this fact.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
When living in Moscow, I was definitely surprised at first to learn that Christmas is not that big of a holiday and that it isn't celebrated on the 25th. My friends and clients always told me that it is on January 6th though (actually Wikipedia seems to confirm this - is there more than one date?)

One time I was trying to fly home to the US for Christmas but there was an issue with my visa so passport control wouldn't let me leave the country. I was really upset but eventually calmed down. The interesting part was walking around Moscow on the morning of 25th with the sense that it wasn't Christmas. I made it home though at like 6pm EST Xmas day, so all was well. :)

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
My friends and clients always told me that it is on January 6th though (actually Wikipedia seems to confirm this - is there more than one date?)
No, it's January 7th, but in recent years the first ten or so days of the new year were days off.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
No, it's January 7th, but in recent years the first ten or so days of the new year were days off.
Ah yes, I meant the 7th. I teach English part time to Russians now so unfortunately I'm familiar with the long holiday since I won't be working then. :(

I wonder what type of vacation/holiday period is standard in other countries?