Happy Candlemas Spring will soon be here

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, Candlemas is the day on which Christmas decorations of greenery are removed from people's homes, and it is also the date that bears emerge from hibernation to inspect the weather. It is also the day that Groundhog Day is celebrated in the United States and Canada.
hypatia
As the poem by Robert Herrick records, the eve of Candlemas was the day on which Christmas decorations of greenery were removed from people's homes; for traces of berries, holly and so forth will bring death among the congregation before another year is out. Another tradition holds that anyone who hears funeral bells tolling on Candlemas will soon hear of the death of a close friend or relative; each toll of the bell represents a day that will pass before the unfortunate news is learned.

In the British Isles, good weather at Candlemas is taken to indicate severe winter weather later. It is also the date that bears emerge from hibernation to inspect the weather as well as wolves, who if they choose to return to their lairs on this day is interpreted as meaning severe weather will continue for another forty days at least. In the United States and Canada, Candlemas evolved into Groundhog Day celebrated on the same date.

The earliest American reference to Groundhog Day can be found at the Pennsylvania Dutch Folklore Center at Franklin and Marshall College:

February 4, 1841 — from Morgantown, Berks County (Pennsylvania) storekeeper James Morris' diary …"Last Tuesday, the 2nd, was Candlemas day, the day on which, according to the Germans, the Groundhog peeps out of his winter quarters and if he sees his shadow he pops back for another six weeks nap, but if the day be cloudy he remains out, as the weather is to be moderate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlemas

He didn't see his shadow!

Physics news on Phys.org
hypatia said:
As the poem by Robert Herrick records, the eve of Candlemas was the day on which Christmas decorations of greenery were removed from people's homes; for traces of berries, holly and so forth will bring death among the congregation before another year is out.

I guess it's a good thing I finally got around to putting away the last of my Christmas decorations today. I never heard of that tradition before, since I was always taught to take down Christmas decorations on the Epiphany, but I never do. I still had a pile of decorations sitting on the living room floor that I had taken down, but hadn't gotten boxed up and put away yet, and finally got tired of looking at it today and put them away. :redface:

Great information hypatia!

I'm looking forward to the early spring, it's been SO COLD!

Punxsutawney Phil can't be wrong, right?

Well my groundhog didn't peek its nose out today. as of 10 PM no tracks in the snow. It could of been the sub-artic temps that kept him in, but that's just a guess on my behalf. So if it stayed in all day, it means it didn't see its shadow? Hmm tuff call on that one.
lol Moonbear, I took my holiday stuff up to the attic today too. In these latter centuries, it should be known as "the day we just get tired of looking at it".

hypatia said:
Well my groundhog didn't peek its nose out today. as of 10 PM no tracks in the snow. It could of been the sub-artic temps that kept him in, but that's just a guess on my behalf. So if it stayed in all day, it means it didn't see its shadow? Hmm tuff call on that one.
I'm sure you're right. If he didn't go outside, no shadows to see, so we can look forward to an early spring. :approve:

lol Moonbear, I took my holiday stuff up to the attic today too. In these latter centuries, it should be known as "the day we just get tired of looking at it".
:smile: I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one! As long as the Christmas decorations are down before Valentine's Day, that's good enough, right? :biggrin:

Well there was the one year I had to tape hearts to santas pack, but we'll leave that tale for another wintery night.:blushing:

Related to Happy Candlemas Spring will soon be here

What is Candlemas?

Candlemas is a Christian holiday that falls on February 2nd. It commemorates the presentation of Jesus at the temple and the purification of Mary after giving birth.

Why is Candlemas associated with spring?

In many cultures, Candlemas is seen as a marker of the halfway point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It is believed that the days will start to become noticeably longer and warmer after Candlemas.

What is the significance of candles on Candlemas?

Candles are an important symbol on Candlemas as they represent the light of Christ. It is also believed that the use of candles during this time helps to purify and bring blessings to the home.

Is Candlemas celebrated in countries other than Christian majority countries?

Yes, Candlemas is celebrated in many countries around the world, including Catholic and Orthodox countries. It is also celebrated by some non-Christian religions and has cultural significance in some countries.

Are there any traditional foods or customs associated with Candlemas?

In some countries, it is customary to eat crepes or pancakes on Candlemas, as the round shape represents the sun and the coming of spring. There are also various blessings and processions that are performed on this day in different cultures.