What is the structure of group algebras for D4 and Q8?

• Thread starter algebrist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the group algebras of D4 and Q8, denoted as kG, are being discussed. The group algebra kG is defined over a field, with different structures depending on the characteristic of the field. If the field has characteristic not equal to 2, the group algebra is FxFxFxFx(M_2(F))x(M_2(F)), where F is the field. If the characteristic is 2, the group algebra is a full matrix algebra. The algebra and coalgebra structure of kG are straightforward to describe in both cases.
algebrist
group algebras of D4 and Q8.. please help!

ok this is my problem:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
for
D4 - the dihedral group of order 8
and
Q8 - quaternion group of order 8

describe the group algebra kG (for a big enough k so that Masche thm. holds), both its algebra and coalgebra structure.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
please if you have any suggestions how should i procede i'll be glad to see them

Physics news on Phys.org
First you must tell us over what field you want the algebra defined. If the field has characteristic not equal to 2 the answer is almost trivial by wedderburn's structure theorem (it is FxFxFxFx(M_2(F))x(M_2(F)) where F is the field I think, by complete reducibility of the group's representation theory). Over char 2 it's a little harder.

Sorry, I omitted to say, that the *size* of k is unimportant to describe the algebra structure, merely its characteristic (if it is a field, a ring is different again). It is a full matrix algebra so its structure and coalgebra structure are easy to describe (if the char is not 2).

What is a group algebra?

A group algebra is a mathematical structure that combines the concepts of a group and an algebra. It is a vector space over a field, with an additional multiplication operation defined by the group operation.

What is D4?

D4 is a group, also known as the dihedral group of order 8. It consists of the symmetries of a square, including rotations and reflections.

What is Q8?

Q8 is also a group, known as the quaternion group of order 8. It is a non-abelian group, meaning that the order of multiplication matters.

What is the group algebra of D4?

The group algebra of D4 is a mathematical structure that combines the elements of D4 with the elements of a chosen field, such as the real numbers. It is denoted as D4[F], where F represents the chosen field.

What is the group algebra of Q8?

The group algebra of Q8 is a mathematical structure that combines the elements of Q8 with the elements of a chosen field, such as the real numbers. It is denoted as Q8[F], where F represents the chosen field.