Handling of "Proper time...." thread

• Thread starter Grimble
  • Start date
In summary, Denis has received a warning for going off topic in a discussion about dimensions and measurements. However, it seems that this behavior is indulged by those who should know better. The topic has been overshadowed by discussions about dimensions, prompting the start of a new thread. The issue of staying on topic is brought up, with the original poster being held responsible for maintaining focus. The thread has received a large number of posts due to its wandering nature.
Grimble
Denis received a warning for going off topic, but that seems to be rather self indulgent behaviour by those who should know better.:smile:
My topic has been completely subsumed by discussions about dimensions, measuring etc.
So much so that I have started a new thread to continue my topic...

Shame on you!
(I am not cross, just amused by it :wink: hehehe!)

Physics news on Phys.org
@Grimble you are the OP, it is largely up to you to maintain focus. Ask a clear and focused question and object to off topic posts as early as possible. Your threads wander because you do neither of those.

Likes jim mcnamara
I have never seen before on PF a thread with so many posts as that thread.

Related to Handling of "Proper time...." thread

1. What is "proper time" in the context of this thread?

"Proper time" in this context refers to the time as measured by an observer who is at rest with respect to the object or event being measured. It is also known as the "invariant time" or "coordinate time".

2. Why is proper time important in physics?

Proper time is important in physics because it allows for the measurement of time in a consistent and objective manner, regardless of the observer's frame of reference. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and is used to calculate various physical phenomena, such as time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is the relationship between proper time and spacetime?

Proper time is a component of spacetime, which is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. In this model, proper time is represented as the time coordinate, and it is used to describe the motion of objects through spacetime.

4. Can proper time be measured?

Yes, proper time can be measured using a clock that is at rest with respect to the object or event being measured. This is known as a "proper time clock". However, different observers may measure different proper times depending on their relative motion, as predicted by the theory of special relativity.

5. How does proper time relate to the concept of simultaneity?

Proper time is closely related to the concept of simultaneity, which is the idea that two events happen at the same time. In special relativity, the concept of simultaneity is relative, meaning that two events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer who is in a different frame of reference. Proper time helps to account for these differences in perception of simultaneity.