Hand-on semiconductor demonstration

In summary, the speaker is a graduate student in semiconductor physics who has been asked to give a presentation to high school girls. They are having trouble coming up with a hands-on activity related to semiconductors and are considering the hall effect experiment, but they do not have access to a transportable magnet. They ask for suggestions and someone suggests showing solar cells or passing around a wafer. Another suggestion is to demonstrate diffraction using a laser pointer and microscope objective.
slaw14
I am a graduate student working in semiconductor physics. I have been asked to give a presentation to high school girls about my field. The problem I am running into is that the organizers would like me to provide something hands-on that the girls can do relating to semiconductors. I have not been able to think of anything or really find anything on the web. I wouldn't mind doing the hall effect experiment (since that is strongly related to my experiments), but I don't really have access to a magnet I can transport (the one in my lab is quite heavy and unwieldy). Do you have any suggestions as to hands-on experiments I could do or where on the web I could find some? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi

why not show some solar cells ? it is a impressive demonstration of semiconductor "at work".. well, at least, you could align your explanations ;-) just forget the organic stuff ...

good luck

Pass around a wafer? Kids like shiny things, right?

If you want to talk about fabrication and depending what kinds of masks you have access to, you could do a simple diffraction demonstration with a laser pointer on the wall. Then use a microscope objective to form the image.

Related to Hand-on semiconductor demonstration

1. What is a "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration"?

A "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration" is an interactive activity that allows participants to physically manipulate and observe the properties of semiconductors, which are materials used in electronic devices. This demonstration typically involves hands-on experiments and visual aids to help explain the concepts of semiconductor technology.

2. Why is a "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration" important?

A "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration" is important because it allows individuals to gain a better understanding of how semiconductors work and their role in modern technology. It also provides a more engaging and interactive learning experience compared to traditional classroom lectures.

3. Who can benefit from a "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration"?

A "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration" can benefit anyone interested in learning about semiconductors, from students to professionals in the field. It can also be a useful tool for teachers to use in their science or technology classes.

4. What topics are typically covered in a "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration"?

Topics that are typically covered in a "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration" include the basic principles of semiconductors, how they are used in electronic devices, and their role in modern technology. Other topics may include the different types of semiconductors, their properties, and how they can be manipulated to create different electronic components.

5. How can I participate in a "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration"?

You can participate in a "Hand-on semiconductor demonstration" by attending a workshop or event that offers this type of activity. You can also reach out to science museums or educational institutions that may offer these demonstrations. Additionally, there are many online resources and kits available for individuals or groups to conduct their own "Hand-on semiconductor demonstrations" at home or in a classroom setting.