Hamiltons Principle on Moving Cart with Fixed Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Hamilton's Principle in solving for energy equations involving kinetic and potential energy terms for a beam and base system. There is a potential energy term for the beam that causes some confusion, but it is ultimately resolved by using the second derivative of deflection, w,xx, instead of (w,xx-q,xx). It is important to check for any sign errors in the equations.
teknodude

Homework Statement

-Use Hamiltons Principle

Homework Equations

[tex]\int _{t _{1}}^{t _{2}}({\rm }\delta T -\delta U -\delta V _{E }) dt} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are my energy equations.
So we have kinetic energy from the base and the beam.
[tex]T_{{{\it beam}+{\it base}}}=1/2\,\int _{0}^{l}\!m \left( {\frac {d}{dt}}w \left( t \right) +{\frac {d}{dt}}q_{{1}} \left( t \right) \right) ^{2}{dx}\\\mbox{}+1/2\,M \left( {\frac {d}{dt}}q_{{1}} \left( t \right) \right) ^{2}\]} [/tex]

potential energy from the beam and spring
[tex]U_{{{\it beam}+{\it base}}}=1/2\,\int _{0}^{l}\!{EI(\frac {{d}^{2}{w}}{{{\it dx}}^{2}})^2}{dx}\\\mbox{}+1/2\,K \left( q_{{1}} \left( t \right) \right) ^{2}\]}[/tex]

potential g, so I take into account the foreshortening of the beam.
[tex]V_{{E}}=1/2\,\int _{0}^{l}\!{(mg \left( l-x \right))(\frac { {{\it dw}}}{{{\it dx}}}})^2{dx}\][/tex]

I am somewhat confused with the potential energy term for the beam. I'm trying to reason with myself whether the second derivative of deflection should be just w,xx or (w,xx-q,xx). My argument is that the q is just a function of t, but also it is a general coordinate.

Edit: Solved it. It was just w,xx and there is a sign error in there. Had to take down the image and some info.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your work on Hamilton's Principle. Your approach seems sound, and I agree with your reasoning for using w,xx instead of (w,xx-q,xx) in the potential energy term for the beam. The q term represents the displacement of the base, which is already accounted for in the kinetic energy term. However, it is always a good idea to double check for any sign errors in your equations. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Hamiltons Principle on Moving Cart with Fixed Beam

What is Hamilton's Principle on Moving Cart with Fixed Beam?

Hamilton's Principle on Moving Cart with Fixed Beam is a mathematical principle used in classical mechanics to determine the equations of motion for a system. It states that the true motion of a system is the one that minimizes the action of the system, which is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time.

How does Hamilton's Principle apply to a moving cart with a fixed beam?

In the case of a moving cart with a fixed beam, Hamilton's Principle can be used to determine the equations of motion for the system. The Lagrangian for this system would include terms for the kinetic energy of the cart and the potential energy of the beam. The true motion of the system would be the one that minimizes the action, taking into account the constraints of the fixed beam.

What are the benefits of using Hamilton's Principle on Moving Cart with Fixed Beam?

Hamilton's Principle on Moving Cart with Fixed Beam allows for a more elegant and concise way to determine the equations of motion for a system. It also takes into account the constraints of the system, which may not be easily accounted for using other methods.

Can Hamilton's Principle be applied to other systems besides a moving cart with a fixed beam?

Yes, Hamilton's Principle can be applied to a wide range of systems, including those with multiple particles, rigid bodies, and systems with constraints. It is a powerful tool in classical mechanics and is often used to derive the equations of motion for complex systems.

Are there any limitations to using Hamilton's Principle on Moving Cart with Fixed Beam?

While Hamilton's Principle is a powerful tool, it may not always be the most efficient method for determining the equations of motion for a system. It also assumes that the system is conservative, meaning that no external forces act on the system. Additionally, it may be difficult to apply to systems with non-conservative forces, such as friction or air resistance.