Hamiltonian of flyball governor

• Thread starter shizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian's form. You'll end up with a function that looks likeH(theta, ptheta) = A(theta, ptheta) + B(theta, ptheta) where A and B are functions of theta and ptheta. You can then take the partials of H wrt ptheta and wrt theta and write down the Hamilton equations.In summary, the Hamiltonian and Hamilton equations of motion for the flyball governor are obtained by first writing the Lagrangian and then using the Legendre transformation to find the energy function, h, and finally converting to the Hamiltonian, H. The resulting Hamiltonian is a function of theta and ptheta, and the equations of motion can be obtained
shizzle
Hamilton equations of flyball governor

I'm trying to find
1. The Hamiltonian
2. The Hamilton equation of motion for the flyball governor shown in problem 2 here

http://www.srl.caltech.edu/phys106/1999/Homework3.pdf

This is what i have. Can someone tell me if I'm right?

[tex]
\begin{gather*}
L = ml^2\dot{\theta}^2+ ml^2\omega^2\sin^2\theta + 2Ml^2\dot{\theta}^2\sin^2\theta +2(m+M)gl\cos\theta\\

H = ml^2\dot{\theta}^2+ ml^2\omega^2\sin^2\theta + 2Ml^2\dot{\theta}^2\sin^2\theta -2(m+M)gl\cos\theta\\

\partial{L}/\partial\dot{\theta} = 2ml^2\dot{\theta} + 4Ml^2\dot{\theta}\sin^2\theta = P_\theta\\

\dot{\theta} =P_\theta/2ml^2\dot{\theta} + 4Ml^2\dot{\theta}\sin^2\theta\\

\partial{H}/\partial{P_\theta} = P_\theta/2ml^2\dot{\theta} + 4Ml^2\dot{\theta}\sin^2\theta = \dot{\theta}\\

\partial{H}/\partial\theta = 2ml^2\omega^2\sin\theta\cos\theta +4Ml^2\dot{\theta}^2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2(m+M)gl\sin\theta = -\dot{P_\theta}\\
-\dot{P_\theta}=-(ml^2\ddot{\theta}+4Ml^2\ddot{\theta}\sin^2\theta
\\
equating the two equations and solving for theta double dot, we get\\

\ddot{\theta} = \frac{ml\omega^2\sin\theta\cos\theta+2Ml\dot{\theta}^2\sin\theta\cos\theta-(m+M)g\sin\theta}{l(m+2M\sin^2\theta)}\\

\end{gather*} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Loose the spaces in your [ tex ] and [ / tex ].

Never mind the code.It's intelligible.At least,the first 2 lines...:-p The Lagrange's function is correct.It's identically to the one given in Landau&Lifschitz,p.21 (ed.1966,Mir,fr.)(with different notations,of course).So that should be okay.
Define the canonical momenta and then write the Hamilton's function for the system.Note:Hamilton's function wil not depend on [itex] \dot{\theta} [/itex],but on [itex] p_{\theta} [/itex].I believe it won't be hard to write the kinetic part in the Hamiltonian.The Potential part is just the one in the Lagrangian but with reversed sign.If u've chosen "+"in the Lagrangian,then it will "-"in the Hamiltonian.

Daniel.

PS.Do something about your tex editing.It sucks... :-p

Once u got the Hamiltonian right,then Hamiltonian equations of motion will be very easy to write.First of all write that Hamiltonian.U may want to define the Poisson bracket for this system and use the equations of motion in terms of fundamental Poisson brackets.Or,perhaps,that's too much and you'd stick to the usual form of the equations.
Feel free to post any problem u have with Analytical Mechanics as you wouldn't be the only one.I believe Cepheid is struggling with the same things...Though much simpler.

Daniel.

EDIT:Both for this and for the previous post.Apparently,among those signs,i could see that u defined the canonical momentum.But yet,the formula containg in the LFS the symbol "H" (for Hamiltonian i presume) and in the RHT generalized velocites is wrong.As i said before,i'll say it again.The Hamiltonian is the (invertible) Legendre transformation of the Lagrangian wrt to canonical momenta.It never depends on generalized velocities,for any case...

Last edited:
Okay, Daniel, my post looks a bit more intelligible now so please check it and give me some feedback aight:) I actually love doing physics this way. I mean physics is fun even if its hard but this is waaaay cool. I'm becoming a physics forum adict. :biggrin:

okay, back to the problem...BUT u must admit, my equations are almost elegant...i hope they're right :-p

Last edited:
shizzle said:
This is what i have. Can someone tell me if I'm right?
[tex]
L = ml^2\dot{\theta}^2+ ml^2\omega^2\sin^2\theta + 2Ml^2\dot{\theta}^2\sin^2\theta +2(m+M)gl\cos\theta [/tex]

It's okay.I already told you that.

shizzle said:
[tex]H = ml^2\dot{\theta}^2+ ml^2\omega^2\sin^2\theta + 2Ml^2\dot{\theta}^2\sin^2\theta -2(m+M)gl\cos\theta [/tex]

It's wrong.I already told u that it should be
[tex] H=H(\theta,p_{\theta}) [/tex]

shizzle said:
[tex] \partial{L}/\partial\dot{\theta} = 2ml^2\dot{\theta} + 4Ml^2\dot{\theta}\sin^2\theta = P_\theta [/tex]

This is alright.Now express [tex] \dot{\theta}=\dot{\theta}(\theta,p_{\theta}) [/tex] and insert in the Hamiltonian's definition.

shizzle said:
[tex]\dot{\theta} =P_\theta/2ml^2\dot{\theta} + 4Ml^2\dot{\theta}\sin^2\theta [/tex]

It's okay what you wrote,but it's not useful.You must isolate all expliticit dependence of [itex] \dot{\theta} [/itex].

shizzle said:
[tex]\partial{H}/\partial{P_\theta} = P_\theta/2ml^2\dot{\theta} + 4Ml^2\dot{\theta}\sin^2\theta = \dot{\theta}\partial{H}/\partial\theta
\\= 2ml^2\omega^2\sin\theta\cos\theta +4Ml^2\dot{\theta}^2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2(m+M)gl\sin\theta = -\dot{P_\theta}\\[/tex]

[tex]-\dot{P_\theta}=-(ml^2\ddot{\theta}+4Ml^2\ddot{\theta}\sin^2\theta\\[/tex]

Equating the two equations and solving for theta double dot, we get
[tex]\ddot{\theta} = \frac{ml\omega^2\sin\theta\cos\theta+2Ml\dot{\theta}^2\sin\theta\cos\theta-(m+M)g\sin\theta}{l(m+2M\sin^2\theta)}
[/tex]

I'm not sure of this,as long as u don't have (or at least u haven't written) the Hamiltonian.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Since this is a homework problem, let's work this out in full, without taking any shortcuts, starting with the Lagrangian.

We have

L := m*l^2*tdot^2+ m*l^2*omega^2*sin(theta)^2 + 2*M*l^2*tdot^2*sin(theta)^2 +2*(m+M)*g*l*cos(theta);

where I've taken the liberty of changing the variables because I'm using a computer program (maple).

This is L(theta, tdot) where tdot = [tex]\frac{\partial theta}{\partial t}[/tex]

Now we can write the energy function, h in the same variables. The energy function is the Hamiltonian's "little brother", it's numerically equal but defined in different variables.

[tex] h = tdot \frac{\partial L}{\partial tdot} - L[/tex]

this is then

h(theta,tdot) = tdot*(2*m*l^2*tdot+4*M*l^2*tdot*sin(theta)^2)-m*l^2*tdot^2-m*l^2*omega^2*sin(theta)^2-2*M*l^2*tdot^2*sin(theta)^2-2*(m+M)*g*l*cos(theta)

The last step is to work out ptheta, and substitute it in the expression for h, a change of variable.

You've already observed [tex]ptheta = \frac{\partial L}{\partial tdot}[/tex]

Unfortunately I'm being called away from the computer, but all you have to do at this point in substitute variables to change h(theta, tdot) into H(theta, ptheta).

OK, I'm back so

h := m*l^2*tdot^2+2*M*l^2*tdot^2-2*M*l^2*tdot^2*cos(theta)^2
-m*l^2*omega^2+m*l^2*omega^2*cos(theta)^2-2*g*l*cos(theta)*m
-2*g*l*cos(theta)*M

and
[tex]
{\it tdot}=1/2\,{\frac {{\it ptheta}}{ \left( m+2\,M \left( \sin
\left( \theta \right) \right) ^{2} \right) {l}^{2}}}
[/tex]

so

H :=
[tex]
1/4\,{\frac {m{{\it ptheta}}^{2}}{{l}^{2} \left( m+2\,M \left( \sin
\left( \theta \right) \right) ^{2} \right) ^{2}}}+1/2\,{\frac {M{{
\it ptheta}}^{2}}{{l}^{2} \left( m+2\,M \left( \sin \left( \theta
\right) \right) ^{2} \right) ^{2}}}-1/2\,{\frac {M{{\it ptheta}}^{2}
\left( \cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{2}}{{l}^{2} \left( m+2\,
M \left( \sin \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{2} \right) ^{2}}}-m{l}^
{2}{\omega}^{2}+m{l}^{2}{\omega}^{2} \left( \cos \left( \theta
\right) \right) ^{2}-2\,gl\cos \left( \theta \right) m-2\,gl\cos
\left( \theta \right) M
[/tex]

the last truncated part is

2gl cos(theta) M

It's a good thing we used the full, laborious approach to find H, because many of the usual shortcuts don't work on this problem.

Often, L = T-V, and H = T+V, but not in this case.

Related to Hamiltonian of flyball governor

1. What is the definition of the Hamiltonian of a flyball governor?

The Hamiltonian of a flyball governor is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of the system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the flyballs, as well as any external forces acting on the governor.

2. What is the purpose of the Hamiltonian in a flyball governor?

The Hamiltonian allows us to analyze the behavior of the flyball governor and predict how it will respond to changes in speed or load. It also helps us understand the stability and equilibrium points of the governor.

3. How is the Hamiltonian derived for a flyball governor?

The Hamiltonian is derived using the Lagrangian method, which involves determining the kinetic and potential energy of the system and then finding the difference between them. This difference is known as the Hamiltonian.

4. Can the Hamiltonian of a flyball governor change over time?

Yes, the Hamiltonian can change over time if there are external forces acting on the governor or if the speed or load of the system changes. In order to maintain stability, the governor must adjust the position of the flyballs to keep the Hamiltonian constant.

5. How is the Hamiltonian used in the control of flyball governors?

The Hamiltonian provides important information about the behavior of the flyball governor, which can be used to design control strategies. By monitoring and adjusting the Hamiltonian, the governor can maintain stable operation and respond to changes in speed or load.