Hamiltonian of a metal lattice

In summary, a student is seeking help in finding the density of states of a lattice of metal atoms with mutual coupling using their Hamiltonian. They believe they can find the eigenenergies and corresponding eigenvectors from the Hamiltonian and use an expression to relate them to the number of possible states. Another person suggests approximating the potential as a sum of terms proportional to the positions of nearest neighbor atoms and using the reciprocal volume of the Brillouin zones to find the density of states in energy. They are unsure about considering higher-order details of the interaction potential.
Niles
Hi guys

I have the Hamiltonian, which describes my lattice of NxN metal atoms, and their mutual coupling. What I need is the density of states of this lattice, and I am quite sure that there is a way to find it from my Hamiltonian; I just need to find out how.

What I thought was that I can of course find the eigenenergies and corresponding eigenvectors from my Hamiltonian. In order to find the DOS I assume I need to find an expression relating the eigenenergies and the number of possible states. Am I way off here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your idea sounds correct. I am not the best at solid state (that's what you're doing, right?), but since no one else is chiming in ...

Can you write your Hamiltonian for us? Specifically, what kind of interaction are you talking about? If I remember correctly from solid state class, you typically approximate the potential as a sum of terms proportional to (xa2-xb2), xa and xb being the positions of some (nearest neighbor?) atoms, and if you go to reciprocal space, the reciprocal volume of the (Brillouin?) zones give you the density of states (in energy). (Is that because it is approximately linear?)

I don't know what to do if you consider higher-order details of the interaction potential (I've only taken one solid state class, and solid state is not my field of study). I'll think about it some more.

Related to Hamiltonian of a metal lattice

1. What is the Hamiltonian of a metal lattice?

The Hamiltonian of a metal lattice is a mathematical expression that describes the total energy of a metal lattice system. It takes into account various factors such as the kinetic energy of the electrons, the potential energy of the ions in the lattice, and the interactions between them.

2. How is the Hamiltonian of a metal lattice derived?

The Hamiltonian of a metal lattice is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. It involves solving the Schrodinger equation for the electrons in the lattice and considering the interactions between the ions and electrons.

3. What is the role of the Hamiltonian in understanding the properties of a metal lattice?

The Hamiltonian is crucial in understanding the properties of a metal lattice as it provides a complete description of the system's energy. It allows us to calculate the electronic structure, conductivity, and other physical properties of the lattice.

4. Can the Hamiltonian of a metal lattice be used to study other materials?

Yes, the Hamiltonian of a metal lattice can be adapted and applied to study other materials such as semiconductors and insulators. However, modifications may need to be made depending on the specific characteristics of the material being studied.

5. How does the Hamiltonian change with temperature and external forces?

The Hamiltonian of a metal lattice can change with temperature and external forces as these factors affect the energy levels and interactions of the electrons and ions in the lattice. This can lead to changes in the material's properties such as conductivity and magnetic properties.